Q. Painting walls in bad shape?????

I removed the strippable part of the bathroom wallpaper. I had done this before, sized the wall and re-papered. Now we wish to paint. I tried steaming, wouldn't touch it. I bought a gallon of Zinsser Dif wallpaper stripper liquid concentrate. Before I even tried it, my neighbor told me to forget it. The houses like mine and his when built, all the bathroom walls were covered with Sanitex (sp?). Minimum mudding was done all the drywall seams and no sizing was put on the walls. An attempt to remove the paper will damage the paper surface of the drywall. I have two options. Put on wallpaper, or, I was told that there is a special paper that can be put on the wall to enable the wall to be painted. Has anyone used this paper? And does it do as advertised?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote in

Haven't used it personally but have seen it used many times and it seems to work as advertised.
Chris
There are papers that have a pattern embossed in that are meant to be painted. First you will have to seal the wall with an oil primer so the glue doesnt reactivate and bubble. You realy should try removing the old liner It may be less work in the long run. With papering you have the cost of paper and hanging and at least 3 coats of paint to do. Your house may not be as bad as your neighbors.
I've used paintable wall paper over paneling and it worked great. Remember to use spackling to make the seems seamless.

paint. I

wallpaper
were
and