Q: Omni Whole House Filter Question?

I have one of these contraptions and I change the filter element every 1-2 months depending on conditions.
Usually, with the Omni wrench, its simply a matter of unscrewing and spinning the filter holder off, replacing the element and rescrewing it back on.
However, for the past few months its a herculean effort to unscrew the filter holder. I must brace the entry and exit pipes and really put some muscle into it. So much in fact that I'm afraid of breaking it.
I've inspected the inside of the device and it all looks normal and there is no goop around the threads or anything.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why this might be doing this and, more importantly, what I might be able to do to relieve this situation?
Thanks all.
bobmct wrote: ...

Use some veggie oil or other edible grease on the threads. (While not strictly edible, since it's on the threads where doesn't really contact water, I use Vaseline often as handy)

I had the same problem with a whole house filter and Vaseline worked great.

Last time I had one of those situations, I didn't have Vaseline so I went around the threads with Chap-Stik.
bobmct wrote:

Take the damn POS out before it breaks while you are not home. My choose to pop it's top while we were home so I only had to vacuum 300 or so gallons and spend 4 hours removing it and splicing the pipes.
Never ever again will I have a plastic POS filter in any home I own.
And before anyone starts screaming including Omini claim user error, it was the top screwed on by the factory that exploded. It was nothing I ever touched. I really thought about suing and decided it was not worth the effort.
Colbyt

Thanks all, Sounds like another use for Vaseline...

I did not see the original thread, but are you relieving the pressure? I use Vaseline on mine, but it it just as imporant to open a faucet to relieve the pressure in the system and it will come off much easier. Same principle as opening a jar. Once you pop the vacuum, the lid comes right off.

Just so everyone knows that drinks tap beer...I worked very close to a bar at one time and they used Vaseline on their tap system and barrel pumps to save themselves some money over the approved type of silicone grease.

Vaseline is not good for plastic parts. Find a food distributor and buy some lubricating jelly that is for soft serve ice cream machines. It will be food safe and should be safe for plastic also.
Colbyt
On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 16:22:03 -0500, bobmct wrote:

In my exprience, it's not the threads that are the problem, but the rubber O-ring. Smearing a thin film of plumber's grease on the rubber works like a charm.
--
Pete