PVC Lumber

I need to glue the edges of PVC lumber, similar to Trex brand. Is there a special glue for this . PVC pipe glue, silicone...ect that would be best for the job. I have sent a couple of emails to the manufacturer but haven't heard anything back.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Similar doesn't butter the biscuit. If it's straight PVC, which I don't believe Trex is, then a thicker PVC cement, like the stuff used with Azek would do the trick. If it's some sort of composite, PVC cement might work or a polyurethane glue might be better. Wait for the manufacturer to respond.

BTW, you did pick up the phone and call tech support, right? It's the fastest way to get an answer by far and the tech guys are very helpful. Email is far slower.

RicodJour

For what it's worth, I was looking at some vinyl trim at Home Depot the other day ("You'll never go back to wood!" was their claim.)

They suggested either PVC cement or a "quality instant glue".

I tried some Super Glue on some scraps that I had at home and it held well enough that the PVC cracked when I tried to get it apart. It was a bit slippery when first mated, but very soon after it held firm.

I once built up a trim profile using vinyl to finish a window that I installed and I used silicone adhesive and screws through the back. I now wonder if I could have clamped it to keep it from sliding around and used Super Glue. Seems like the "natural bend" of the vinyl trim would have made that a bit difficult.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Iknow Super glue tends to make the plastic next to the joint brittle.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Reply to
JIMMIE

Oooops forgot why I signed in. I found PVC glue works great but it sets fast just like with the pipe. You can also do strong butt joints that you couldnt do with wood.

I glued a couple of 6 inch scraps of brick mould together. with a little sanding you cant see the joint. Pretty cool.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

JIMMIE wrote the following:

Before you find a glue, maybe a piece of the PVC lumber screwed into the undersides of the two pieces would do more to keep the two pieces together, and all you would need is a filler between the two ends.

Reply to
willshak

That Azek glue I mentioned earlier sets slowly so you have time to work with the stuff.

RicodJour