Putting up fence - Do I need a boundry survey?

Page 3 of 4

The dude wrote: ...[top posting repaired]...

> yes they are...
That's pretty unusual to have overhead water... :)

that's called rain in my area.
dpb wrote:

its called a well... I have no water lines
The dude wrote:

Well, I'd guess there was a line anyway, even if not an external source.
But, it was a general principle being espoused, not the specific detail, I just got a chuckle form the "all" overhead...
You have LINELESS water??? How's that work?

They freeze it and brings blocks of water into the house as needed
AHHHHHH..... I C

Be the first time _I_ ever saw an overhead feed for water..........

In the Charleston South Carolina region, a survey is cheap insurance. I've found fences, out buildings, and primary residences that are on neighboring lots.
I just got another estimate.
$1,000 for the same thing.
This is for 3.5 acres of land
The dude wrote:

That can save you 10x that if you put the fence in the wrong place. I'd go for it.

The price is not based on the amount of land but on how much work and distance they have to do their measuring and surveying from the local "landmark" point, to your lot.

Depends on if its a new survey or just finding the metal rods from the original survey. I had a survey guy come out and locate all my boundary posts. Didn't charge much more than a hundred bucks to do it.
-Tom
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 13:51:24 -0500, The dude

Find the lot markers. A metal detector may help. Make sure the fence is inside your property. Yeah, a survey can be $$$.

Where do you live? What is the approximate size of your lot in feet? Is it square, rectangular, or odd shaped?
That's pretty expensive from my experience. It cost me $384 in Chicago a lot of years ago, standard 45' wide lot, and around $400 here about ten years ago. "here" is upstate NY, rural area.
If you have multiple quotes in that area though, I'd say it appears to be the going rate. What the rest of these fools are on about is anyone's guess. Boy, they really come creeping out of the woodwork on this group, don't they? Almost every one of them is an ignoramus too.
I am thinking the same thing...
It is a rectangular 3.5 acre lot.
I guess most of the expense is the drawing and certification?
TWayne wrote:

The dude wrote:

That, and the unseen effort. A good survey includes research of adjoining parcels and their legal descriptions, compared to what's actually measured on the ground. A competent surveyor will measure more or less a city block in each direction, perhaps more depending on the original layout.
Inevitably, there will be some discrepancy. A land surveyor experienced with work in your area will know how to handle this, because he or she will have an idea of how your neighborhood was laid out to begin with.
A cheap survey is like a discount parachute. If you do it at all, get an experienced pro with a license. Any other survey is worth less than a roll of Charmin.
You might get away without a survey; it's your gamble, and you might be OK. If you can locate AND TRUST your existing markers (known as monumentation) and compare them to your original lot survey (and NOT the so-called 'mortgage survey'), you might be OK.
IF you decide to get it surveyed, don't screw around. Hire a pro with a license and a reputation. This will cost, and it will be worth it.
The $1000 quote that I have is from a Pro in the area... But, he will provide a mortage survey for now, then later when his schedule lightens up he will come out and mark the property - after I move in.
Unless some other pro comes in better, that is probably the route I will take.
Robert Barr wrote:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 13:04:00 -0500, The dude
need a boundry survey?:

Are you going to pay the full $1000 now or part now and the rest after he comes out and marks the property?
Probably the entire $1,000 upfront.. How much money is the actual staking actually worth?