putting on insulation backwards

On one wall I have to install insulation, but unfortunately its going to be installed on the wrong side of the wall for the vapor barrier. I personally haven't found a source for insulation that doesn't have a vapor barrier - otherwise this would be a moot point, but I'm wondering if I can just push the insulation into the wall - vapor barrier and all. It should stay put from friction but I didn't want to just start stuffing it in there and have it turn out to be a bad idea.
You can slice the vapor barrier, many cuts, with a carpet knife.

The vapor barrier on fiberglass insulation can be peeled off quite easily.
I last bought fiberglass insulation in 2000. There were several choices of "no-vapor-barrier" insulations available then. Are you sure you looked hard enough?
-Jason
Eigenvector wrote:

If I understand you correctly you are working from the cold side so the vapor barrier should be on the other side. Yes you normally could use just friction fit. As noted the barrier usually comes off easy or you can slit it if that is not possible. I would use friction fit to keep the barrier where it belongs.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Alright, just checking. Another person asked why I wasn't looking too hard for non-backed insulation and the answer to that was because I have a bunch of rolls of backed insulation already.
Shove it in with the VB the correct direction, friction will hold it just fine..
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

By installing on the wrong side, if you mean you're installing it from the outside of the house then push it in with the vapour barrier on the warm in winter side - the inside if you are in a cold area. If there is already an inside vapour barrier then you sould slice the vapourt barrier on the new insulation so you don't trap moisture in the wall.
David
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:34:31 -0800, "Eigenvector"

Why are you installing it backwards?
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info