Putting on a new Roof

I am in the process of stripping old shingles, putting plywood over old sheathing and adding new shingles. The roof is over an attic that was converted into a bedroom. The current roof has a ridge vent but no Soffet vents. I was told that the best way to add a soffet vent is to put strapping down between the plywood and old sheathing in order to create a ventilation space. Then cut holes in the top of the old sheating over the eaves. Then put he plywood down, cap the space and add the vents on the bottom side of the eaves. Is this the correct way to do this???

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
paul

It's *A* correct way to do it, although I suspect that using something thicker than strapping would get you better airflow. (The strapping is running eave-to-ridge, right? not gable-to-gable?)

Reply to
Goedjn

Reply to
paul

According to snipped-for-privacy@h2kustom.com :

You need something more substantial than strapping. Especially if you want to insulate.

In a house where they had a T&G cathedral ceiling, they ended up going with 2x8's on edge. 5.5" fiberglass batts on top of the T&G, then

2" worth of air gap before the plywood sheathing.
Reply to
Chris Lewis

Not that I can think of, no. And it would compress the existing insulation probably more than you want, anyway.

Look at it this way, This is an excellent opportunity to add a 1" layer of urethane foam on TOP of the existing deck. (Foam, then sleepers, then nailable deck.)

Reply to
Goedjn

I had the *exact* same thing done here at home, they're finishing off the job inside as we speak.

They tore off the planks 3 ft from the bottom and 3 ft from the top, put strapping horizontally, then 2 by 4s onto the existing chevrons effectively raising the roof about 4 inches. Then aspenite, membrane, shingles, and a couple of static ventilators on top, model 301 as shown here:

That's the ventilation part.

We're having urethane blown on the inside, about 5.5 inches, so basically the same principle applies: nailing 2 by 4s to the existing structure to give more space, urethane everywhere, gypsum, primer, paint. For the exposed urethane in the storage areas we had this fireproof coating applied. Yuk.

Oh surprise there was never any ventilation from the soffits in front, the existing plywood(!) that blocked them was removed so now we're okay from the soffit right up to the ventilator.

Picture here

and here

If you want more pictures just email back.

Best regards,

Reply to
giroup01

Sorry I meant to say exact same problem.

Reply to
giroup01