purchase home with old termite damage?

Hi, I have come across a nice '50s house for sale (at top dollar, of course). Today I had a local extermination company do the home inspection. He found pre-existing (meaning there is no current activity) termite damage in the the rear wood sill that sits on the foundation. He he was able to poke thru the wood with a metal rod. There were three floor joist devices that were previously put in as a fix, but the inspector was dubious of their value to helping the damage.

Has anyone here experienced this and had to fix? Should I just run away from this deal?

Thanks, P

Reply to
Patrick

I'm by no means an expert here, but my home, a 1940's wood-frame, had 'pre-existing' termite damage when I bought it 30 yrs ago. It wasn't as extensive as what you're describing, I guess maybe the previous owner caught it in time, and treated it correctly. Anyway, I have it checked regularly and there are no signs of new infestation.

If you are comfortable that it HAS been treated correctly, I'd say make them an offer with a contingency that they get the damage repaired correctly. I'd even ask to see the exterminator records for when it was treated, and if they can't produce them even have it in the contract that they get the whole house retreated.

Reply to
mwlogs

If one can push a rod * through * the wood, it is badly damaged. I am unclear about the "three floor joist devices that were previously put in as a fix". If this means that three floor joists are supported by the damaged wood, that's serious.

In Charleston, a wood frame, wood sided house with this kind of problem would have the wall above lifted off the sill; the floor joists supported; the sill separated from joists and studs; damaged wood replaced and connected with joists and studs.

If it were my decision, and I knew a competent carpenter, I'd get a bid on the work and reduce my offer by that amount. It won't be small.

Tom Baker

Reply to
Tom Baker

Get a contractor to look at the damage and the repair... get an estimate of the needed repairs and add 20% to that to allocate the repairs. Termite damage has a nasty way of popping up other places, window sills, etc.

Good luck

Terry

Reply to
Terry Cano

Thank you all for the replies. I have decided to walk away from the deal.

Reply to
patrick

A damaged sill is no small matter. If I were in your shoes I'd want some estimates on damage and repair costs. You'll especially want this if you decide to negotiate an offer on the home.

Finding damage is not necessarily a bad thing. You'll want to use it to leverage a better price.

Good Luck!

J. Chandler

jay