Pur water filters

As everyone knows softened water makes really bad tasteing coffee. Will a Pur , Brita or similar faucet mounted water filter or the pitcher make a difference or should I stick to bottled water for coffee? Anyone tried this? Thanks for any help...

Reply to
benick

Get one of the $150 or so under sink RO filter units and feed it with water from before the softener so you don't waste filter life removing softener salts.

Reply to
Pete C.

Using the water BEFORE the filter/softener is not an option. VERY rusty and lots sediments. Removing the salt won't be a waste of a filter if it will save me from buying 5 gallons of bottled water a week for coffee and having to return said gallon containers to the redemtion center ....LOL. So I assume by your post that Pur filters WILL remove the salt? If so I'm getting one the next trip into town....

Reply to
benick

Add an additional $20 5 micron sediment filter before the RO unit and feed if pre-softener. The $2 (buy them by the case at a plumbing supply store) sediment filters will take care of rust and sediment and still be a lot cheaper than wasting RO filter life.

I have no idea what the Pur filters will remove. As far as I know they are simple particulate and charcoal filters, far below the filtering capacity of an RO filter.

Reply to
Pete C.

removingsoftenersalts.

IMO a Brita or similar 'filter' is a toy when compared to real filters.

Millions of Americans don't agree that softened water makes bad coffee.

All ROs come with prefiltering requirements and should be installed after a softener. An RO has no problem removing the added sodium or potassium from a softener. But they do have a problem with hardness, iron, managnese etc..

Gary Slusser Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser