Pull Chain for Ceiling Fan Light Doesn't Work

I little prologue: I bought a house with a remote controlled ceiling fan (with 4 bulb light) in the living room. Problem is the lights flicker. I think it's the remote control unit, so I took that part out.
Okay, to the problem: There is a black, blue, white, and green wire from the fan. I connected the black and blue to the black out of the ceiling; the white to white; and the green to the ground. Fan comes on and the chain operates its low-medium-high-off modes. Great! The lights also come on but......the chain does not turn them off. I bought a new chain switch and connected the wires coming out of it to the respective blue and white wire groups for each bulb with the little screw cap. Then each of those groups has a blue or white wire that leaves those caps and travels up to connect to the fan part.
So I'm not sure why the fan chain works but not the light chain. Help?

What happens when you disconnect and cap the blue wire from the ceiling?

No lights at all.

Like you say; this, is a light problem :))
How many wires in the ceiling box?
Instructions from some fans may say blue or red wire.
Switched!!?

Time to call an electrician. Sounds like you've tied the switch directly across 120 v. The new switch is probably toast.
You have two separate pull chain switches. The switch for the light should be connected between the blue wire and whatever colored wire(s) that goes to the light sockets. The white wire does not connect to the switch, but splices directly to the white wires that go to the light sockets

The above poster is probably right in that I friend the switch. I will try again with this connection. Reading it, it makes sense actually.

If you had fried the switch you wouldn't be saying probably. :)

Get a new chain. Buy about 3 feet, cut off the excess.