Protect driveway from tree roots

I have one large pine that is 8 ft from the driveway. It is cracking the driveway. I have another pine that is closer, but not as large. It has not caused any damage. I will be having both removed.
I have another hardwood tree that is about 8 ft from the driveway. It is much smaller in diameter than the pine but I worry that this could be a problem soon. Anyone know what is a good rule of thumb for this kind of stuff?
Terry wrote:

It depends on the type of tree. I suggest that checking with your local county extension service (check your local phone book under government agencies) they can likely help you out with great advice based on local conditions.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
before you remove anything realize a home with mature trees are often worth thousands more than the same home without trees.
so the driveway is cracking what makes you think it the trees?
I would rather have nice trees and a cracked drive.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

But properties with mature trees in the wrong spot are often worth thousands less.
If the extension office has info on which trees don't cause pavement lifting, they don't talk to my city. They love to plant trees too close to sidewalks and roads, predictably causing disaster. I suspect someone's doing it on purpose for a twisted sort of job security.
Terry wrote:

Since you're going to have to fix the drive, why not apply a fix that accommodates tree roots?
Or take out the one offending root.
Either has to be cheaper and more effective than taking out the tree.

dig narrow ditch around slabs cutting tree roots

no rule of thumb, too many variables at paly
the only way to stop tree root growth i have seen which is safe around concrete is http://www.biobarrier.com /
sounds like you haven't yet had a professional visually assess the situation and you could potentially keep all 3 trees
message

The two trees that I am having taken down today are pines. Being pine is enough reason to want them gone.
The 3rd tree I would like to save because it is a hardwood. I have done some web surfing as well. I don't think it will be a danger to my driveway.
I went to the web page you suggested. I couldn't find a price for the product. I usually pass on web products that have hidden prices.
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

Wazzamatter with pines? Being evergreen, they even-out the leaf-cleaning business, they act as windbreaks all year long, they are immune to virtually all tree-killing diseases and insects. I had a twenty-year ond oak that woke up one season dead. Had Chastic Fibrosis (a disease usually found in foxes) or something. Cost more to take the damn thing down than you would believe. Pines are stucturally sounder than most hardwoods. They reach maturity faster, thereby providing more tree for the time invested. All in all, pines and other firs are pretty much a bargain.
Regarding structural integrity, they flex better and do not send out branches that are, in volume, as big as the main tree trunk (like some oaks) and exist only for the purpose of breaking off and falling on your house (or car).
Replace your pine with a hardwood and in only fifteen years you'll still have an upright twig. Bah.