Proper servicing of HVAC

I just moved into my first home. So I'm looking to get my furnace and a/c looked at.
What should be serviced, and how often? What should the technician check out?
Many thanks.

The furnace and A/C

Twice a year. A/C in spring and furnace in Fall

The furnace and A/C

Your welcome Bubba

he should go over everything and clean it even the ac coil in the furnace since you know nothing on how it was maintained or its true condition.
Since you don't know the history of the unit, it might be good to at least clean it the best you can (with compressed air and a shop vac, etc) and then change the filter. Then have someone come out and determine if it's working OK and maybe clean the (I forget the name if the part) but it's the inside A/C coil if it needs it.

Where are you? Maybe someone has a good reference for you.
Monty,
Your public library probably has a large stack of books on DIY and home maintenance. It's time to do some studyiing.
Dave M.