propane tank date

Where is the expirary date on a 20lb propane tank?

Reply to
joeysgame

stamped into the meal protective rim at the top of the tank in BIG numbers

like expires

11 16

-larry / dallas

Reply to
larry

damn keyboard ;-)

Reply to
larry

I'm 99% sure 12 years. You can have them re-certified, but it probably cost more than a new tank.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi, it is punch on the outside of valve guard. Some times hard to see it's faint. After 10 years you can have it recertified or replace. That's what we o up here.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

...You can have them re-certified, but it probably cost

Just exchange it at WalMart when it expires. I even trade in my old non-OPD tanks for the Blue Rhino tanks at WalMart. No extra charge.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

"trainfan1" wrote

When they were phasing out the old tanks, around here, you could take in an old tank that was out of hydro, and no questions asked, they would give you a refilled tank with the OPD. I think it was just good business on their part. I traded in about four old tanks that way. Just walked in, shut up, paid at the counter, and walked out with the new tanks.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

on 7/28/2007 8:25 PM SteveB said the following:

I don't know about the rest of the world, or the US, but here in the NE US, there is a company called Rhino, that has cylinder exchanges at almost every supermarket, chain store, beer store, or convenience store, that takes old tanks and exchanges it for a full tank.

Reply to
willshak

That's the one. I don't know if the clerk knew or didn't care. I sure didn't care, as I thought I was going to have to buy four new tanks. As I said, I think they just did it for good business, but after a time, I'm sure they wouldn't take any more. By then, I had all mine changed out.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I suspect when these new tanks/valves are old and new technology comes out they will also accept these current tanks.

At (Eastern and Serene ?) HD these tanks are in cages with ATM access

24/7; leaving out the clerk. Not sure how if works or even if the ATM knows I placed and empty tank in the cage. :-/

-- Oren

Oren

Good deal if you don't mind being locked in to Blue Rhino. They are $5 to $10 more per fill up around here.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Oren" wrote

I was trading them for a while. Then we started using more at the rentals. I went out one day and couldn't find a station that sold propane that had an attendant who knew how to pump it. I went to three places. Then I went to the U Haul at Russell and Stephanie, or right there by the 95 freeway, and it was about a buck and a quarter a gallon cheaper than any of the other stations. I'll keep going to that U Haul here in Las Vegas.

Utah is cheaper than that.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I was told that other dealers cant/won't fill Blue Rhino tanks. Something about the fill valve being different. Never had one, never tried, so I don't know for certain.

As for paying the hydro, at a premium of $5 a tanks, and I fill up maybe 10 to 15 times a year, I can buy two new tanks every year. That is a premium of $600 over the 12 year life of a tank. Better that money be in my pocket than subsidizing the guys always trading in their out of date and non-OPD tanks.

Never had to wait a day or two to have a tank filled either. There are a dozen places around here that will do in on the spot. Even in the winter they do it while I wait.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

They have some tanks that has a tamper resistant valve of some sort, but you can specify the regular type when you exchange them. The info is printed on their label.

I fill up about 1.5 times a year so a few extra dollars are of little consequence.

I specified welding gas tank exchange. Yes, you can get a propane tank filled in 5 minutes, but for a high pressure argon, oxygen, acetylene, CO2, etc. if you want your specific tank filled in most cases you have to wait several days while it is shipped from your local welding supply place to the areas central fill facility and then shipped back for you to pickup. With exchange you bring in your empty cylinder and walk out with a full one in a few minutes.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.