Propane Pilot Light Problem?

Hello, all.
Today I noticed the pilot light was out on our propane furnace (hot-water baseboard system).
I took my trusty propane torch and tried to light it and it acted really strange, specifically:
1) There didn't seem to be any delay like there normally is when I light the pilot – normally you have to burn up 5 or 6 matches or hold the propane-torch flame on the pilot-light gizmo for maybe 20 seconds before it gets hot enough to allow the propane to flow. Now, it seems like it lights right away.
2) The pilot flame burns just fine WHILE I HAVE THE PILOT-LIGHTING BUTTON DEPRESSED...but when I turn the little knob from "PILOT" to "ON" – the pilot flame goes out.
Can anyone give me any clues on what's going on with this thing?
Thanks in advance for any information.
Jacob wrote:

Did you depress the button long enough before releasing it?

Not sure. I had the impression that once it lit, it was hot enough to remain lit...
Are you normally supposed to hold the button down for a period of time before turning the valve to "ON"?
Colonel wrote:

Well, I'll be darned. I had forgotten that you were supposed to hold down the pilot-light button for 60 seconds before turning the valve to"ON."
Here I was thinking I was going to need a new thermocouple ... but that appears to have done the trick!
Fingers crossed...
Thank you!
Colonel wrote:

Hey! Wait a minute. Where are you buying $2 thermocouples? I use the Honeywells. Something around $5 something a piece. Bubba

My supplier.

Better watch out, they might be very HOT..... Could burn your fingers BEFORE you install them....

I doubt it...since the MOST I have EVER paid for one from one of the East Coasts largest HVAC houses, is $3.50 or so..no more. Honeywell too.
This is Turtle.
If you order 3 Rail Road box Cars of them , you can get the 36" for $2.00 each. Where do you want them Bubba ?
TURTLE

Same price here, about $5 !!!

Are you blonde ? <LOL>
I had a similar problem last week. It started several months ago where the pilot went out maybe once every 2 weeks. Last week it went out. I had to light it 4 times before it stayed lit. Then when the burner fired, it blew out the pilot and shut down the whole furnace again.
I replaced the thermocouple and have not had the problem again.
I recommend you buy a thermocouple NOW. At least you have one on hand if the furnace dies during the night, on Christmas, or any other time you can not buy the part. They cost about $5. That sure beats being cold. If the pilot is acting up, it's likely the thermocouple is dying. They seem to always die gradually. Changing them at 4am is not as much hassle as trying to get the part, or paying some furnace company several hundred bucks to do an emergency call at night or on a holiday.

be cured by a new, dust-free thermocouple). A couple blasts from a can of compressed air is a good idea to try before heading out to the store. ==

Show me a thermocouple that has DUST on it....
Aint happening if the pilots working.

Jacob wrote:

sounds like the torch is tripping the pilot
you say it lights right away...whereas you would expect it to delay
maybe your torch is a litte too hot to be lighting pilot lights with for real, that pilot light works on a thermostat you're superheating with the torch I don't see how you can even light one with a torch without blowing it out