Propane OPD tank question

With a "new" OPD propane tank. If a person were to connect a propane line to the tank, tip it upside down, and open the valve. Would that deliver liquid propane to the appliance?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sorry, didn't think the info would be this easy to find.

More info:

.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I do that to refill the tanks for my propane torch.

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

Yep, same here. You do have to have something screwed into the tank valve, though.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I tried filling 16 ounce tanks a while back. The valves would leak after filling. I remember reading on someone's post, that Ozark Trail tanks tend to leak, Coleman tanks are more dependable.

Since that time, I've gotten a hose rig, to be able to run smaller appliances off the big tank. I've not used it, but maybe some day during a power cut or ice storm.

I've refilled a tank, and then left the torch screwed on, using the torch valve to keep the propane in.

.

Yep, same here. You do have to have something screwed into the tank valve, though.

Jon

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One friend of mine had a propane torch and tank leak, in his Ford Bronco. He says it "just blew" like the space capsule explosive bolts "just blew". Burned down his truck, and put him in the hospital with burns. I'm guessing he leaned in to get out of the wind and light a cig. But, that's just a guess.

.

Yep, same here. You do have to have something screwed into the tank valve, though.

Jon

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is he still smoking?

Reply to
Moe Gasser

Yes, some addictions are really gripping.

.

Is he still smoking?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hmmmmm. Enclosed space. Transportation of LPG. Ignition source. I wonder what could have happened.

Wait, wait. I think I know the answer to this one. Did he apply for a Darwin award?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Will that OPD let the last couple of inches of liquid exit or does it stop the flow when the float gets nearly horizontal?

Jeff (Who also refills his small torch cylinders from a 20 lb bottle.)

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

I dunno, I only fill my little one pounder when the big bottle is fresh from the refiller (the local U-Haul store). When the big one runs out (right after I put the steaks on the grill, of course), I have the little one to finish dinner plus another dinner before I have to go be the big one filled again.

I don't use the sweating torch often enough to bother refilling that tank, so I buy the Mapp cylinders for that. Well, whatever passes for Mapp nowadays, since the bastards stopped making the good stuff.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I use my torch on the end of the hose on a 20 pounder.

Reply to
clare

You don't have a spare 20# tank? I keep a total of four tanks for grill, smoker, two spares. Of course, two are empty right now so thanks for the reminder.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Nah. The EMTs put out the fire.

Reply to
krw

All my tanks are spares now since I replaced my BarBQ with a natural gas unit. No more running out of fuel half way through!!

Reply to
clare

That's part of my hidden agenda, for asking. My spare tank is the old style, and the fill place won't refill it. I'm wondering if I can make a rig with a hose, and transfer from the OPD tank to the old style tank.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I can do that too, once I have the gas line extended to my house. It is less than a block away and they wanted $10,000 to do it 30 years ago when the house was built.

I do use propane for cooking and really should hook those tanks to the grill.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Do you think the price went up or down, to extend the NG line? Might have gone either way.

I do know one place, where the outdoor grill is on NG, piped in. Do I remember, you heat with oil? Maybe the cooking gas tanks can be piped to the outdoor grill.

I think it's folly to depend totally on one supply. For example, I would not want an all electric house. You may be better off with three fuel sources, in case one runs out.

Just remembering my friends whose propane ran out, a couple weeks ago. They had sent in the check, but the company has internal communication problems. They didn't even have a space heater, so I loaned them mine. One day I brought over a 20# propane tank, and piped that onto their house system, so they could run the furnace.

.

I do use propane for cooking and really should hook those tanks to the grill.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now you are just being cheap. The tank requires recertification - which is why nobody will refill it. Make an air pig out of it and move on.

Reply to
clare

When we moved into the house in VT, we didn't have natural gas on our block but it was about a block away. One of the neighbors was using propane for heat (*big* bucks) so asked what it would take to extend the lines. Turns out, it was easy - just get everyone on the block to switch to natural gas. I was heating with oil at the time so was quite interested in switching. The only cost, to me, was the burner, $850 purchase or $12/mo rental. They put the lines up to the house, meter, and plumbed the house, free.

I thought of that, but then I couldn't move the grill.

Reply to
krw