Propane OPD tank question

Page 1 of 2
With a "new" OPD propane tank. If a person were to connect a propane line to the tank, tip it upside down, and open the valve. Would that deliver liquid propane to the appliance?
http://www.nashwauk.net/UnderstandingOPDValves.html
Sorry, didn't think the info would be this easy to find.
More info: http://www.coxontool.com/index.php/References/PropaneCylindersAndTanks
news:... With a "new" OPD propane tank. If a person were to connect a propane line to the tank, tip it upside down, and open the valve. Would that deliver liquid propane to the appliance?

I do that to refill the tanks for my propane torch.
Attila.Iskander wrote:

Yep, same here. You do have to have something screwed into the tank valve, though.
Jon
I tried filling 16 ounce tanks a while back. The valves would leak after filling. I remember reading on someone's post, that Ozark Trail tanks tend to leak, Coleman tanks are more dependable.
Since that time, I've gotten a hose rig, to be able to run smaller appliances off the big tank. I've not used it, but maybe some day during a power cut or ice storm.
I've refilled a tank, and then left the torch screwed on, using the torch valve to keep the propane in.

Yep, same here. You do have to have something screwed into the tank valve, though.
Jon
On Fri, 11 May 2012 10:49:44 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I use my torch on the end of the hose on a 20 pounder.

One friend of mine had a propane torch and tank leak, in his Ford Bronco. He says it "just blew" like the space capsule explosive bolts "just blew". Burned down his truck, and put him in the hospital with burns. I'm guessing he leaned in to get out of the wind and light a cig. But, that's just a guess.
Yep, same here. You do have to have something screwed into the tank valve, though.
Jon
On 5/11/2012 10:51 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Is he still smoking?
Yes, some addictions are really gripping.
On 5/11/2012 10:51 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Is he still smoking?

Hmmmmm. Enclosed space. Transportation of LPG. Ignition source. I wonder what could have happened.
Wait, wait. I think I know the answer to this one. Did he apply for a Darwin award?
Steve
On Fri, 11 May 2012 15:42:36 -0400, Moe Gasser

Nah. The EMTs put out the fire.
Jon Danniken wrote:

Will that OPD let the last couple of inches of liquid exit or does it stop the flow when the float gets nearly horizontal?
Jeff (Who also refills his small torch cylinders from a 20 lb bottle.)
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
jeff_wisnia wrote:

I dunno, I only fill my little one pounder when the big bottle is fresh from the refiller (the local U-Haul store). When the big one runs out (right after I put the steaks on the grill, of course), I have the little one to finish dinner plus another dinner before I have to go be the big one filled again.
I don't use the sweating torch often enough to bother refilling that tank, so I buy the Mapp cylinders for that. Well, whatever passes for Mapp nowadays, since the bastards stopped making the good stuff.
Jon
On Fri, 11 May 2012 17:26:08 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

You don't have a spare 20# tank? I keep a total of four tanks for grill, smoker, two spares. Of course, two are empty right now so thanks for the reminder.

All my tanks are spares now since I replaced my BarBQ with a natural gas unit. No more running out of fuel half way through!!
On Sat, 12 May 2012 01:09:13 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I can do that too, once I have the gas line extended to my house. It is less than a block away and they wanted $10,000 to do it 30 years ago when the house was built.
I do use propane for cooking and really should hook those tanks to the grill.
Do you think the price went up or down, to extend the NG line? Might have gone either way.
I do know one place, where the outdoor grill is on NG, piped in. Do I remember, you heat with oil? Maybe the cooking gas tanks can be piped to the outdoor grill.
I think it's folly to depend totally on one supply. For example, I would not want an all electric house. You may be better off with three fuel sources, in case one runs out.
Just remembering my friends whose propane ran out, a couple weeks ago. They had sent in the check, but the company has internal communication problems. They didn't even have a space heater, so I loaned them mine. One day I brought over a 20# propane tank, and piped that onto their house system, so they could run the furnace.
I can do that too, once I have the gas line extended to my house. It is less than a block away and they wanted $10,000 to do it 30 years ago when the house was built.
I do use propane for cooking and really should hook those tanks to the grill.
On Sat, 12 May 2012 09:53:21 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Since then, there was a house built across the street. That would have been the time to do it. Utilities are all about numbers. Enough customers, they put in the line.

I can do that, just never got around to it. The grill has to be lagged in place, then a line run etc. I asked the propane company about it once and they estimated $200 or so.

I've not used it in years, but I have a wood stove also. Propane space heater and electric space heater if ever needed.
You sound like one of those "survivalists" that the government hates so much?
Probably has a fishing pole, a gun, and a four wheel drive vehicle? And some food stored at home, and a Bible, with any luck?
I've not used it in years, but I have a wood stove also. Propane space heater and electric space heater if ever needed.

When we moved into the house in VT, we didn't have natural gas on our block but it was about a block away. One of the neighbors was using propane for heat (*big* bucks) so asked what it would take to extend the lines. Turns out, it was easy - just get everyone on the block to switch to natural gas. I was heating with oil at the time so was quite interested in switching. The only cost, to me, was the burner, $850 purchase or $12/mo rental. They put the lines up to the house, meter, and plumbed the house, free.

I thought of that, but then I couldn't move the grill.