propane heater odor?

A phone call from my aunt had her telling me that she thinks there's an odor from her propane heater. The odor is slight and she's not even sure it IS from the propane heater, but it seems to be in that area. She describes it as a "rotten egg smell" and she "thinks" it's from the heater, but said "Maybe something crawled into the woodwork and died." She had the heater serviced about a month ago and all was apparantly well then. Until I can get over there, can anyone offer any ideas on this? Thanks.

Reply to
Pdk Pdk

Could well be propane. It is made to stink so people will know when it leaks. Shut the heater off and the tank too and open a window for a while. Don't take chances. Find the problem. Don't light matches or ranges either.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi, Possible gas leak or improper combustion. Safety issue. Rotten egg smell is there to be notice. The sooner, the better. Have it checked again.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Think gas leak and safety!!!!!! Do something quick just to be sure. I don't want to hear KaBoom!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The smell of 'rotten eggs' has me on alert. CHT. Sewer line gas and it can be deadly in concentration as any Navy person can tell you. Her heater would be near the waterlines and might also be near the connection to the sewer system? In my house, thats on the other side but they can be together (meaning same side and closely run) in some other places. If it's in a garage and the garage has a window, have her open the window until it can be checked.

Reply to
Cshenk

Have her check her propane tank level.Many times you smell that "rotten egg" smell because the propane level is getting low, concentrating the additive which makes the smell more apparent. But have a propane service man do a leak check on the system to be sure.

Reply to
hands on

I get a pamphlet on propane safety every year from my supplier. Here's what it says to do if you smell gas. [it even has a scratch and sniff so you can be sure that's what it is]

  1. Get out of the house.
  2. Call them from a neighbor's house or from a cell phone *from outside*. A phone can cause enough of a spark to ignite propane.

Worst case it is nothing, and she and the service guy will have a good laugh. Best case he'll fix a leak before her house blows up. [my provider does not charge to check possible leaks-- they'd rather make a dozen useless calls than have one house explode]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Mouse problems?