Progress report: Wall paper

After several years of complaints I agreed that we could replace the wallpaper in the kitchen.
I'll be darned, it's 2PM and she has 3/4ths of the old stuff scraped off.
I went in there to help but she kicked me out.
She told me to come back at cleanup time.
When she's done with that I'll open up the walls and rewire as needed then seal things back up. (Tomorrow)
I'll be hiring a friend to mud things properly and a professional wallpaper hanger to put the paper up.
Had I known earlier she was going to roll up her sleeves and help...maybe it would have gotten done sooner.
On 8/3/2015 2:07 PM, philo wrote:

If you're going to open up the walls, why take off the wallpaper? Won't it come off when you open up the walls?
--
Maggie

SHHH, he's got the wife workin', don't spoil it : 0
On 8/3/2015 3:12 PM, ChairMan wrote:

ok sshhhhhhh
--
Maggie

On 08/03/2015 03:12 PM, ChairMan wrote:

If she is willing to roll up her sleeves and go to work what can I say.
I don't mind hard work but personally just do not want to remove wallpaper...I hate doing work like that.
On 08/03/2015 02:16 PM, Muggles wrote:

I'm just opening up three small sections.
On 8/3/2015 7:13 PM, philo wrote:

whew ... that makes more sense. :)
--
Maggie

On 08/03/2015 10:13 PM, Muggles wrote:

Wall open in the kitchen and I removed the wiring from 1932
I am going to put a total of six sets of outlets in...each set with it's own breaker.
The kitchen originally had a total of two outlets.
So the fridge, microwave, toaster, coffee maker and two other things can all be on at once.
I am almost half done done...I got up early and am now taking a break.
Made one fortunate mistake though...instead of buying 14-2 wire I bought 14-3 so will have less wires to run and less of a mess.
On 8/4/2015 12:45 PM, philo wrote:

Pictures of the progress?
--
Maggie

On 08/04/2015 01:29 PM, Muggles wrote:

I put in 15 hours and am now too tired to take photos
Will write a note for tomorrow
On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 1:45:11 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:

ooops kitchen circuits MUST BE 12 gauge wire, each with a 20 amp breaker
i prefer to run 12 2 with grounds it makes later troubleshooting easier
besides if you share the neutral it can overheat
On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 7:51:45 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

and dont forget GFCI each circuit. although i dont like GFCIs on refrigerator circuits.
fridgge should have its own dedicated circuit
and a dedicated circuit for the dishwasher.
and the garbage diisposal
On 08/04/2015 06:51 PM, bob haller wrote:

Possibly in your locality but when the last wiring job was inspected they did not say anything about the 15 amp circuits in the kitchen.

it makes sense many kitchen appliances are power hogs
i believe this is a NEC requirement
On 08/04/2015 10:11 PM, bob haller wrote:

I'm not going to change it now since the 15 amp wiring passed both an electrical inspection and an insurance inspection.
The way I'm doing it, each appliance will have it's own breaker so I will not over load anything.
The only thing I have to be sure of is that with the 14-3 ...to use consecutive breakers so that the current in the neutral cannot exceed rating.
The wiring had been done in 1932 so at least the old wiring is BX and conduit. (as opposed to K&T)
Back in those days they did not pay attention to "neutral" and "hot" so anything still on the original wiring (very little now) I will have to check to make sure that when an overhead light is "off" that it is in fact the "hot" wire that is switched.

I've sworn off wall paper. I really don't like plain walls, but I don't like removal, seams showing, peeling and rips either.
Now I've got a number of rooms done with sponge paint. Very happy with the end result. Very easy to do. Gives the same visual interest as wall paper, maybe more, since there are no repeats. Not hard to touch up either.
--
Dan Espen

On 08/03/2015 04:07 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

I remodeled the kitchen mostly by myself 25 years ago.
Since I did not really do a great job and it lasted 25 years...that's not too bad.
Since I'm now 66 years old this will be the last time I remodel this kitchen. Even my wife agreed that when we are done that will be it.
In a few years I'll need a new roof...I better start saving now.