programmable thermostat

Can anyone recommend a decent residential programmable thermostat for heating and cooling? I've got a Hunter model 44260 and its a piece of junk! Its very annoying to program and it blinks various things (symbols and numbers) that you cant understand without a manual, its a horrible piece of crap. I've got a Gas hot air furnace and whole-house air-conditioner system run off the same thermostat. The batteries are lose in the holder and if they disconnect for a fraction of a second the whole program is lost. I really want a decent programmable thermostat with day and night settings for heating and colling. Any recommendations? Thanks Eric
The three big names are Honeywell, White Rogers, and Robertshaw. All make decent thermostats of various types and abilities, but my personal preference is White Rogers, they're reasonably priced unlike Honeywell, they're fairly easy to program and they last

RBM wrote:

The hunter forgets its programming and time of day at any little glitch, Also the buttons to set things are nasty, they need to be firmly pressed and held down for .75 sec or so to see the button press. What WR model do you recommend? Have you heard of any that you can hook a laptop to and program it via the laptop? Eric
Eric wrote:

I have Honeywell (two of them) and I programed them maybe four of five years ago. Still working and never lost a program; I just change the batteries every year or two. I don't know anything about hte WR, but they have been around for many years.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Great 'stat, probably have installed a hundred of them! Greg

I have several LUX stats and they are simple and work good. ( I took a expensive & working Honeywell out for the LUX.
If you have been using those cheap batteries, don't they have very poor quality control and many times are too small for holders.
Tom

I use Honeywell MagicStat. Works great.