programmable outlets

Page 2 of 2

Mark Lloyd wrote:

I haven't played around with X-10 stuff in years but I distinctly recall signal coupling units made by the manufacturers to send the X--10 signals across the phases/hot legs in the main electrical panel. I don't think the things were "diodes". You can make your own with a 0.1uF,630v polyester capacitor, 18uH inductor and a 0.25A in-line fuse (optional, but recommended) connected in series across the hot legs. The safest way to do it is to install a 2 pole breaker and hook it up there or slip the leads under those already hooked to a 2 pole breaker (uh, first turn the breaker off). I would install the small fuse in series with the components because I've seen voltage spikes short capacitors and let all the magic smoke out.
TDD

Thats X-10, check out Smarthome.com they have them. But I'd go with their Insteon technology instead, it is way more reliable than the old X-10 stuff. I'm using Insteon all over the house, works great.
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 11:01:22 -0800 (PST), Limp Arbor

They were still RF, but over the line. X-10 is a common supplier. Radio shack used to have them under the "whole house" brand in Canada - and RCA had them too. Among others. I've got X10, RCA GE and Whole House and they all work together. You set what is called a "house code" and a "circuit code".
On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 21:15:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

[snip]
Specifically, 121KHz bursts at the zero crossings.

I always hear the last called "unit code".
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us