programmable outlets

[snip]

They do make filters for offending appliances, but it's a lot of work finding them and you have to keep doing it.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

He may be referring to the coupling capacitors used to send the signals across the phases.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas
[snip]

And you need smart capacitors, that can block extraneous signals at around 121KHz while passing the 121KHz X10 signals.

BTW, I know someone who had a house fire of Christmas 2008 (possibly casuse by faulty wiring done by a former owner). It still smells smoky.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I haven't played around with X-10 stuff in years but I distinctly recall signal coupling units made by the manufacturers to send the X--10 signals across the phases/hot legs in the main electrical panel. I don't think the things were "diodes". You can make your own with a 0.1uF,630v polyester capacitor, 18uH inductor and a 0.25A in-line fuse (optional, but recommended) connected in series across the hot legs. The safest way to do it is to install a 2 pole breaker and hook it up there or slip the leads under those already hooked to a 2 pole breaker (uh, first turn the breaker off). I would install the small fuse in series with the components because I've seen voltage spikes short capacitors and let all the magic smoke out.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas