Programable thermostat(s) for a zoned house?

A co-worker (really, its not me) wants a prog' thermo' and asked my advice. Told him it was a snap to replace, just follow the directions.

But, then he said he has a 3-zoned house. OHH-Kay, out of my depth. Told him I'd see what I could find out.

So. Will a typical $20, set-back, unit for each zone do the trick, or are there complications due to the zones? Does this elevate the project from a DYI a professional operation?

Thanks.

Reply to
Kevin

Three zone house should have three thermostats. You replace them on a one by one basis. Just follow the directions in the package.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Possibly, it does depend on what brand of zone system. Some have a "master" stat that controls everything to some degree. Replacing the original stats with programable stats could really make a mess of things! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Heat pump? If so, might not be a good idea as they use heat strips to make up for large temperature differences.

Reply to
John Harlow

So why can't he use a programmable thermostat with a heatpump?

They make them with adaptable recovery so if they set it back (during the day or at night) it will try to raise the temp to the setpoint withOUT using the back-up heat "strips". You just have to check to see if the model you are purchasing will do that....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Good point; it's just something which needs to be considered. Thanks for the input.

Reply to
John Harlow

Kevin,

What brand of t-stat sells for $20? I had to replace a programmable stat (honeywell) last year and it cost $40.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

We got some cheapy off brand t-stat for $10 about 4 years ago... it's been working like a champ. It's limited.... 4 settings on weekdays, 2 on weekends, but it works.

For what it's worth, we only have hydronic heat... so it is only switching on/off half the year.

If there is interest, i'll look up the brand when i get home.

Reply to
Philip Lewis

On Tue 11 Jan 2005 07:07:32a, Philip Lewis tittered and giggled, and giggled and tittered, and finally blurted out...

Yes, I'd like to know the brand and source. We're currently in a rental and I don't want to spend a lot, since we'll probably leave it when we move.

TIA Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

OK, so its been a while since I bought one.

Reply to
Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Hi Kevin, hope you are having a nice day

On 10-Jan-05 At About 23:07:56, Kevin wrote to All Subject: Programable thermostat(s) for a zoned house?

K> From: Kevin

K> A co-worker (really, its not me) wants a prog' thermo' and asked my K> advice. Told him it was a snap to replace, just follow the K> directions.

K> But, then he said he has a 3-zoned house. OHH-Kay, out of my depth. K> Told him I'd see what I could find out.

K> So. Will a typical $20, set-back, unit for each zone do the trick, K> or are there complications due to the zones? Does this elevate the K> project from a DYI a professional operation?

it all depends on what kind of zones these are. if it is a boiler with 3 zones OK, but you need to be careful what kind of thermostat you use as some of those zone valves use close to an amp and some tstats cannot take that much. if it is a vav type zoning system it could be pretty bad to try and change them as a lot of those use a special tsat.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

Hi Edwin, hope you are having a nice day

On 10-Jan-05 At About 23:12:39, Edwin Pawlowski wrote to All Subject: Re: Programable thermostat(s) for a zoned house?

EP> From: "Edwin Pawlowski"

EP> Three zone house should have three thermostats. You replace them on EP> a one by one basis. Just follow the directions in the package.

This may not be true Ed. if it is a vav system it could be a bear as some of them use a special tstat.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2