Programable thermostat(s) for a zoned house?

A co-worker (really, its not me) wants a prog' thermo' and asked my advice. Told him it was a snap to replace, just follow the directions.
But, then he said he has a 3-zoned house. OHH-Kay, out of my depth. Told him I'd see what I could find out.
So. Will a typical $20, set-back, unit for each zone do the trick, or are there complications due to the zones? Does this elevate the project from a DYI a professional operation?
Thanks.

Three zone house should have three thermostats. You replace them on a one by one basis. Just follow the directions in the package.

Possibly, it does depend on what brand of zone system. Some have a "master" stat that controls everything to some degree. Replacing the original stats with programable stats could really make a mess of things! Greg
SOo, between Greg & Ed, I'll tell him to call a pro. Thanks guys.
Greg O wrote:

Hi Edwin, hope you are having a nice day
On 10-Jan-05 At About 23:12:39, Edwin Pawlowski wrote to All Subject: Re: Programable thermostat(s) for a zoned house?
EP> >A co-worker EP> (really, its not me) wants a prog' thermo' and asked my EP> advice. > Told him it was a snap to replace, just follow the
>> But, then he said he has a 3-zoned house. OHH-Kay, out of my depth. >> Told him I'd see what I could find out.
>> So. Will a typical $20, set-back, unit for each zone do the trick, >> or are there complications due to the zones? Does this elevate the >> project from a DYI a professional operation?
>> Thanks.
EP> Three zone house should have three thermostats. You replace them on EP> a one by one basis. Just follow the directions in the package.
This may not be true Ed. if it is a vav system it could be a bear as some of them use a special tstat.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. URA Redneck if you have more appliances in the yard than in the house.
Kevin wrote:

Heat pump? If so, might not be a good idea as they use heat strips to make up for large temperature differences.

So why can't he use a programmable thermostat with a heatpump?
They make them with adaptable recovery so if they set it back (during the day or at night) it will try to raise the temp to the setpoint withOUT using the back-up heat "strips". You just have to check to see if the model you are purchasing will do that....

Good point; it's just something which needs to be considered. Thanks for the input.
Kevin,
What brand of t-stat sells for $20? I had to replace a programmable stat (honeywell) last year and it cost $40.
Dave M.

it's been working like a champ. It's limited.... 4 settings on weekdays, 2 on weekends, but it works.
For what it's worth, we only have hydronic heat... so it is only switching on/off half the year.
If there is interest, i'll look up the brand when i get home.
--
be safe.
flip

Yes, I'd like to know the brand and source. We're currently in a rental and I don't want to spend a lot, since we'll probably leave it when we move.
TIA Wayne
David Martel wrote:

Hi Kevin, hope you are having a nice day
On 10-Jan-05 At About 23:07:56, Kevin wrote to All Subject: Programable thermostat(s) for a zoned house?
K> A co-worker (really, its not me) wants a prog' thermo' and asked my K> advice. Told him it was a snap to replace, just follow the K> directions.
K> But, then he said he has a 3-zoned house. OHH-Kay, out of my depth. K> Told him I'd see what I could find out.
K> So. Will a typical $20, set-back, unit for each zone do the trick, K> or are there complications due to the zones? Does this elevate the K> project from a DYI a professional operation?
it all depends on what kind of zones these are. if it is a boiler with 3 zones OK, but you need to be careful what kind of thermostat you use as some of those zone valves use close to an amp and some tstats cannot take that much. if it is a vav type zoning system it could be pretty bad to try and change them as a lot of those use a special tsat.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. "After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in?" - s.w.