Problem with septic system

Page 1 of 2
Hi, I'm new to this group and do not know if this has been posted before. We've been living in this house now for 5 months. It has a septic system which I'm not familar with with at all (I've never owned a house with a septic system). Well now water is starting to come out of the ground in the back yard. I'm sure this is the field area. Well I know this is related to the septic system as there is a foul stench eminating from it. My wife found out that septic system need to be pumped regularly. The prolem is we don't know how to pump the system. I mean I think I know where it needs to be pumped at, but I don't know if I use a plunger or what. Anyway thanks in advance for the advice.
Gratefully, Chris~
crt2000 wrote:

Trolling?
crt2000 wrote:

Trolling? Or ask around your neighbors.

Everything has been posted before. Carry on.

That's bad, fer sure.

Sounds clearly like a septic system problem.

Every two years. That's routine maintenance, not a quick fix, probably.

No problem. YOU don't pump the system. You pay $150 or so and some company with a special truck does it for you.

Truck. Pay.

The pumping people will do a quick fix, but if your "leach field" is clogged, you are looking at major money to fix this. You need professional help to analyze and fix this. You need to study how septic systems work, and what it means when everything comes up in the back yard. This is not something that can be fixed with a quick tip on a usenet talk room.
Hi again, Thanks for responding so fast. Well we were trying to avouid spending any large amount of money on this, although if that is the case it will probably have to be done. as far as us asking neighbors, that's a good idea although we live in a rural area where people just basicly keep to themselves. I thought I would ask you guys and gals. Mabye this has been posted before and i did check, however with no solid answers to my problem. Thanks again, Chris~

Solid answer: call the pumper truck, pay the man ~ $100 (assuming you have an accessible clean-out), fogedaboutit, unless it happens soon (less than 6 months), then call him back & make sure he pumps both tanks. I had that when we first moved in, (my first septic system) turns out there was a blockage between the tanks. considerable digging involved that time, which we did ourselves to avoid the labor charges, and because we just happen to have a backhoe.
Eric in North TX wrote:

You can spend a chunk now, or pay a H U G E chunk later. Call for the Honey Dew truck.

"Pumped" means "pumped *out*". As in, pumping 500 gallons of s**t out of the tank. Where you gonna put that?
You don't do it. You hire a septic tank cleaning company to do it. They have a pump and a tanker truck to haul it away. Look in the Yellow Pages under "Septic Service" or something similar, or ask your neighbors to recommend a company. Cost likely to be between US$100 and $150.
--
Regards,
check with the local septic sewer companies, find out if they have been out before you bought home?
Doug Miller wrote:

could be 10x that amount.
BTW, the tanker truck is referred to as a "sh*t sucker" around here.
Bob
Cost likely to be between US$100 and $150.

To have my SMALL tank pumped at a not so remote cabin cost me $350 this summer.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Gulp! Mine was $120. But for 10 years usage it had relatively little sludge in it. Maybe it's charged by the amount of time they have to spend cleaning it out.
Bob
Bob wrote:

10x? Could be 50x to dig up and replace the leach field.
Doug Miller wrote:

500?? That's mighty small. 1500 is code around here.
Just had mine pumped out after living here for 5 years. From what I could tell by looking down in there, it could easily have gone another 5 years no problem. Only about 18" of sludge on the bottom, and maybe 8" of scum floating on top. The rest was liquid, just the way you want it to be.

gets to the leach field.
Eigenvector wrote:

Depending on the system in use. With the older style systems, it's still pretty nasty stuff and has a strong odor if exposed to the air. After it leaves the field lines the soil bacteria breaks it down to different stages of cleanliness. In the newer style systems it has been clorinated by the time it reaches the fields and is mostly odorless.

Only if everything is working properly. If the system is clogged, those turds are moving right along.
Eigenvector wrote:

I beg to differ. When the tank becomes so full that solids are discharged into the fields, it will stink. My neighbor's field stunk to high heaven before he had it cleaned.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY