Problem with Schlage door lock

Hi. I have recently developed a problem with a couple of Schlage locksets on my external doors. The spring loaded latch will not automatically retract when the door is being closed. I have taken it apart and do not see anything obviously wrong.

My door is equipped with a separate double cylinder deadbolt and the residential knob/lever set. The round keyed knob is on the outside, and the lever handle is on the inside. The lever handle is not keyed, but has the small piece you turn to lock/unlock the door.

When you try to close the door, the latch piece does not retract and the door will not close. You have to turn the knob/lever to get the latch to retract, in order to close the door.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting ?

Thanks.

Reply to
Nosmo King

Spray the heck out of it with silicone spray while turning the knob back and forth.

Reply to
Bob

Same problem on more than one door, after they've both worked properly in the past?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Not sure about that particular lockset but the spring that retracts the latch maybe in the handle/lever part of the lockset.

You might do a google search for that lockset and or manufacture and see what comes up.

RV

Reply to
evodawg

I've found a door or 2 in my time where the striker plate (in the wall) for some reason 'gripped' the spring loaded bolt, so instead of shoving the bolt into the door, it just 'stuck'.

Drove me nuts because the bolt would push in easy by hand, but wouldn't retract when the door was closed.

Make sure the striker plate has a gentle curve that will first touch the bolt on the curved/sloped/slanted portion of the bolt.

That, and a little lube, set mine straight.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Wax the bolt and striker plate where they touch in operation. Lubricate the lock internals.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Yes. The first one started it about a year ago (locks are about 5 years old). It was on a door in the garage that doesn't get used much, so I never did anything about it. The second door just started acting this way this week.

The problem is definitely with the latch part, as you can not manually push it in. I'll try dis-assembling the locks and see if the silicon spray helps.

Reply to
Nosmo King

I haven't tried silicone spray for these things. I use WD-40 with very good results, and haven't needed to take things apart. Not that I've had your exact problem.

mm

BTW, things are moe complicated with some locks than just pushing the bolt in, if that's what you mean. I'm a little confused right now, but try to replicate shutting the door before you say you can't push something in. I mean, pushing from one side at the same time you push in.

Try one of your locks that still works and see how it works when you manually push it in.

And of course jimmy-proof locks have one method or another so that the bolt cannot be pushed in when the door is closed.

mm

If with the door open you can't push the latch in the problem is probably the half round deadlocking pin on the back of the latch is not comming fully out. If the deadlatch pin is far enough in the latch has to be retracted with the knob - prevents case-knifing. If the deadlatch pin is out and the latch can't be retracted the problem should be in the latch - I would consider buying a new latch only - probably from a locksmith.

bud--

Reply to
Bud--

Just curious, but is this the commercial grade lockset which costs about $200.00 which you need to buy from a locksmith or is this the consumer grade lockset sold at home improvement stores?

FYI - I bought a Schlage commercial grade lockset about 6 years ago and have not had any problems. I bought this because I have seen these on schools, businesses, and government buildings and they seem to last forever. The consumer locksets sold at hardware and home improvement stores have not lasted very long before they have problems (in my experience).

Reply to
Bill

It looks like the builder used the standard consumer grade sets. I went to HD to buy a replacement latch, and they didn't carry them. The guy there said the Schlage locksets have a lifetime warranty, and should be replaced at no charge.

I looked on their web site, and it says the lifetime warranty is valid for "the original user". As the second owner of a five year old house, I am disappointed in this.

Reply to
Nosmo King

Check out the commercial grade Schlage locksets at schools/businesses. These are very well built and quite a difference.

I figure I'll spend $200 once and have it last rather than spending $40 or whatever every 5 years, then needing to change keys, etc. Actually cheaper in long run if you live there a long time.

Reply to
Bill

Hell of a lifetime.

The cheapest fix may still be replacing the latch only. Locksmiths may have them. Also possible that the latch from a higher grade Schlage would work (and last longer).

Might be a good new question for alt.locksmith.

bud--

Reply to
Bud--

Good grief what do you do to wear out a lock in 5 years? Mine are not expensive and have lasted for almost 30 years.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Put two drops of 10W30 motor oil on the latch where it enters the side of the door.

If that doesn't work, replace the latch.

If that doesn't work, call your local locksmith.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I know it may require a note from the Vatican and an act of congress, but have you called the manufacturer about this? The "original owner" routine is based on absolutely NO logic known to man. You should be able to get around it if you act indignant on the phone. The phone is the thing you talk into. You may have one at home, or in your office.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I have a Schlage lockset which developed the same problem. Have to turn the handle to get the latch to retract when I shut the door. Very annoying. I have read all the replies here and it looks like the most sensible thing for me to do is just replace the lockset. I have tried taking it apart and see nothing wrong, spraying WD40 and a silicone lube everywhere with no change,. It seems to me that the problem may lie in the lock mechanism (the little "key" you turn to lock the door).

Anyway, guess I'll just replace it but it is nice to see I am not the only one with the door problem.

Reply to
Will

Contact Schlage they will likly replace the entire lock assembly. The did for us with the same problem.

Reply to
NotMe