Problem with light switch and outlets

I recently redid an upstairs room in my house and installed new three-prong outlets in each of the fixtures. Each of them has been grounded. Two of them are on one circuit and work fine. The third one appears to be wired to a wall switch.
The switch that was already installed is, according to the printing on it, is a three-way five-amp switch. Only two wires connect to this switch (black and white according to my home's wiring code; I'm in the USA). When I throw this switch, one of the circuit breakers downstairs trips and lights in an adjoining room turn off. I was worried that the switch might be wired in backwards, but that doesn't seem to have any effect.
Nothing is plugged into any of the outlets in this room. Is there something obviously wrong here?
Replies in email as I don't check this group often.
Serdar Yegulalp wrote:

Yeah, either you're a troll fishing for 100 similar answers to the same stupid question, or you're legit and in that case need to call an electrician before you burn your house down.
if a: Nice try, take a hike
if b: what ever made you think you know enough to do this???
--
Ha'i D-suhlami
filling in for I-zheet M'drurz
Serdar Yegulalp wrote:

So is it just e-mail address you want? If it is not important enough for you to check back, why should anyone bother?
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Sounds like you wired a direct short across the switch. Also seems that the existing 3-way switch may have been used as a regular switch. Look in the box that has the switched outlet, if you connected all the white wires together, that may be the problem. The white wire in the cable that goes to the switch is part of the switch wiring, _not_ the neutral. Your actual wiring may differ. This website has lots of wiring diagrams that should help you determine your actual wiring and the correct connections to make. http://homewiringandmore.com/index.html
More specifically: http://homewiringandmore.com/switchoutlet/plughalfswitched/outlethalfout.html