Priming new drywall on skimcoated ceiling/ Which primer should I use?????

Hello, I live in a modern apartment building with a concrete slab for a ceiling (of course). I stripped off all of the "popcorn" texture (just add water, it falls off) that was on the ceiling and painted the slab with WeldCrete. I then laboriously applied four coats of joint compound (7 buckets total), smoothing with a knife after every coat and doing some sanding near the end of the process. This was torturous work and I don't want to repeat it.

Now, I am ready to paint my ceiling. What should I use as a primer? It seems like there are two schools of thought regarding primer. Some people claim that oil based primers give a better surface while other people say PVA is good. What do people think? I don't want to mess up this ceiling after working so hard on it. I certainly don't want some watery primer to loosen my ceiling and cause it to fall...

What do people think? It would be great if people could list some brand names they've used. I get confused with the number of different brands.

Regards,

Larry

Reply to
LarryK

Check the primers at your box store drywall department. There is at least one product IIRC made by USG called "First Coat" that should be just what you need. As always, read the labels and follow directions and good luck,

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I would think any quality primer should work, acrylic or alkyd. The alcohol based Zinsser has an advantage of drying in less than an hour, but I doubt whether it makes any difference what primer you use, as long as you read labels. There is also a first-coat primer especially for joint compound sealing. That is sometimes put on, followed by an undercoat (levelling paint) , if you want a really smoothe surface. Also, ask a real paint professional - in a paint store you trust, to confirm your final decision..

Reply to
Roger

"LarryK"

I second the recommendation for USG primer. See if you can find a drywall supply shop, they usually carry it.

On the house I recently gutted and rebuilt, I used it on the new sheetrock, and it is better than any other I've ever used. My first coat of mid grade Duron paint went on like butter; in one coat it covered evenly and looked great.

Its about $35 for a 5 gallon bucket, more expensive than other primers, but I think it was well worth it. If you use a sprayer, the recommended tip is different than for wall paint, I think the primer is thicker and goopier....

Will Niccolls

Reply to
Will Niccolls

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Keep them coming! What do people think about Zinsser's Gardz product? They specifically mention joint compound skim coats here:

Would this help keep my ceiling from cracking in the future? I'm hoping I don't get any cracking with this joint compound skim coat over concrete.

I would like a really smooth surface, if possible, so maybe I should use the First Coat from USG,a leveling paint (which one??), and then my Benjamin Moore Atrium White. I want a matte finish to hide as many imperfections as possible. I'm wondering how the leveling paint undercoat will improve the surface?

Larry

Reply to
LarryK

Excellent product for this application.

Likely. This primer will penetrate & bond unsound surfaces underneath.

Reply to
3rd eye

I'm still looking on information about GARDZ. Do people think it is worth using over new drywall? Has anyone used it?

Reply to
LarryK