Pressure washing a roof? Don't!

Slate roofs yes, but those modern tiles can be tricky. Not just tricky,

but absolute little bumbags when it comes time to get the old briggs and stratton out.

What I didn't know is that the newer tiles (anything other than slate) have a special weatherproof coating sprayed onto them before they leave

the factory which (weatherproof it may be) doesn't stand up to the punch of a jet washer. Yes my amico's you can pressure wash it straight

off and if you do, your up for a repair bill that'll make you want to kill and eat something. And if you own one of those inflatable chairs, you WILL find yourself sailing around your livingroom come the first downpour that crosses your way.

Eventually I phoned a company based close by in Stirling (thanks and free plug to

who came, worked their magic and resealed the roof for mates rates if I allowed them to use photos of my house in progression in their online gallery so, it really wasn't

as bad as it shouldve been.

So beware, if you have a dirty roof, never pressure wash it you'll so more harm than good. Instead, if you don't want to pay someone to do it, get a gallon of TFR (traffic film remover- I know this now), apply liberally and rinse of with a light (LIGHT) pressure spray after about 10 to 20 mins.

Its come up as new and you'll save yourself the trouble, as well as the

repair bill, of having to get the professionals in.

Reply to
Smashing Pumpkin

If you have a dirty roof and feel compelled to wash it, take two valium 10 mg., make an appointment with your shrink, then go lay down until the valium wear off.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

In the states the dirt on a roof is mostly mold and fungus. There are guys with strong chemicals similar to bleach that treat the roof then lightly rinse it with a pressure washer.

Reply to
Art

Unless you just got the letter from your insurance company saying that your insurance is being cancelled because of the moss on it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

"Steve B" wrote in news:5ZLHg.2903$rT5.2865@fed1read01:

I've posted this link a few time. But it is interesting for black roof sufferers.

Al Bundy

I guess I have lived in the desert too long. No chance of that happening here. I thought people just were just being anal about having a clean, really clean, roof.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Slate is a great roofing material and it can last many generations if it is of good quality to begin with, but walking on it and I would guess power washing, will cause damage and may greatly reduce the life of the roof.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Then spray Chlorox or some copper/zinc solution on the roof, then take the valium and call the shrink.

Reply to
krw