Pressure washer storage

You guys in Northern climates -- what do you do to prepare your pressure washer for winter. Amazingly, my manual says absolutely nothing about the subject.

I'd take it down in the basement if it was an electric model but its gas powered so it must ramain out in the garage where the temperature will plummet bellow freezing. Afraid the pump will freeze up and crack. My idea was to fill the pump with 50/50 automotive antifreeze. Is that the prevailing wisdom?

Brian

Reply to
denaman

Antifreeze would likely work, but up here in northern Alberta, I've never had a problem just removing all the hoses, and blowing everything out with compressed air.

That's always worked for me.

good luck!

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
maurice

Run the gas out as normal. Then rig a funnel to a tube and connect the tube to the water inlet. Fill the funnel with either winter windshield washer solvent or RV antifreeze solvent. Crank the engine/pump by hand without starting until you get the solvent to run all the way through the pump. You're done until spring.

They also sell aerosol cans that do the same.

Reply to
tnom

Lowes, Home Cheapo, Northern, etc. all sell an aerosol can of "storage anti freeze and conditioner" made for power washers. I would advise against using windshield washer, or anti freeze because of the reaction with the "cheap" rubber seal materials the manufactures use now a days. A can or this stuff costs like $4 and hooks up to the water supply hose inlet of the pump and all you have to do is press the button and the pressure blows old water out the pump while adding the anti freeze and pump conditioner, and it lasts for many "flushings".

snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Reply to
chuckster

My manual recommends RV/Mobile Home water supply line antifreeze.

Butch

Reply to
Butch Haynes

The manufacturer recommends winter washer solvent or RV antifreeze.

The aerosol can doesn't have enough volume for many flushings.

I would recommend not wasting $4 on the aerosol.

Reply to
tnom

or blue water, it's cheaper.

Steve Barker