Pressure treated wood fence with black mold?

I special order 15 pressure treated wood fence panels from local Home Depot. The contractor shipped and installed them to my back yard just

10 days ago. I found out there are black mold all over 15 panels, some more some less.

I went back to customer service, they told me pressure treated wood won't get mold, and is mold resistant. I called and complain to HD. The manager told me that is normal with "minor" mold. I called Lowes and they told me it is rare at all. (I did not tell the Lowe's guy where I get fences from.)

I am stuck here. What should I do? I don't want to use bleach to kill my fruit trees next to fences. HD refuse do anything except telling me to get a bucket of solution to wash them off. The fences came here new with lots of black mold!!

So my question is here, it that common for molding on pressure treated wood? What should I do for those errors HD made and the molding problem I have on the back yard? Thanks

Reply to
newsgroup

A power washer should remove the mold.

Reply to
The_Critic

Take photos and show them along with your HD receipt and the contractor's receipt to the HD store manager and get whatever satisfaction you can. I don't suppose you want to remove and return the fence boards. Maybe HD can give you a can of anti-mold paint or whatever.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

If you didn't actually see the black mold before the contractor installed the fences, I'd even go a little stronger than the above suggestion. When you said "HD refuse to do anything..." what did you mean? Usually contacting Customer Service will get you exactly zilch. Same with store manager. That's why people on this NG including moi are so negative about dealing with HD

If you have it in writing that they refuse (do you?), I'd write to the corporate office -- CEO or President. Send Certified Mail, Return Receipt,and include copy of HD's refusal.

If you don't yet have it in writing, send the same kind of (polite) demand letter to the HD contact who blew you off. If they don't answer in writing, send copies of the Certified post office receipt with your letter to the CEO of HD.

All this said in total ignorance of the world of treated wood. Does "pressure treated" wood have chemicals injected into it?

I have heard that the stuff they use on "treated wood" which people use to build raised beds can leach into vegetables . T/F? So maybe the mold isn't the worst of your problems.

Persephone

Reply to
aspasia

Here in Florida, anything that sits outdoors for a day will either rust or get mildewy. If they are in the sun, sun will kill it. If not, wash with 10% bleach/water. Rinse. If the trees touch the fence, just tie up branches before you wash the fence or cover with tarp. Rinse all with clear water. Don't cover vegetation with tarps during the hottest part of the day or they will be burnt. Old pantyhose or cloth strips make great ties for plants. Don't know how bleach will affect the PT chemical....works great on painted stucco.

Reply to
Norminn

I spot the mold right after the contractor installed the fences. I even send mold pictures to assistant store manager. He told me they (HD) can only give me some kind of "a bucket of solution" to clean up the mold. I am not happy with that answer. I think HD should do a better quality control. Sell black mold fence panels at brand new price sounds crime to me.

Reply to
newsgroup

clipped

What is your concern .. appearance or condition of the wood? If appearance, clean it. Mildew won't hurt it. It is intended to be used outdoors, and mildew is a normal outdoor condition, more so in humid/shady areas.

Most fencing material and lumber is stored outdoors. Your "new" lumber could easily arrive infested with termites. PT is rot resistant, but that doesn't mean it will not eventually rot. Same for termites.

Were you present when the fence was built? If so, why did you not object then? If not, a bad idea.

Norminn

replying to newsgroup, Russell Newberry wrote: What you are seeing is most likely referred to as lumberyard mold and is quite common. It is completely harmless and can easily cleaned off. The lumberyard where I work frequently receives shipments of treated lumber that has this mold

Reply to
Russell Newberry