Preserving Opened Cartridges - Methods?

With regard to silicone and polyurethanes...

I'm sure many have different preferences but what are your methods? Those cartridges can seal up in days and it would be nice if one could keep them say a month when you know you are gonna need more of it.

Best I've ever come up with is putting a small piece of plastic bag over the cartridge tip and put one of those yellow cartridge caps on. It still will seal up but not quite as bad. Once a week open it, get rid of what has dried, squirt a little fresh stuff out and recap.

Of course, best solution is probably suck it up, toss it out and pop for another 4-6 bucks depending on the product.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I use wire nuts to seal the opening, which works for a fairly lengthy period of time.

What usually happens, however, is that I finish my project, put the opened tube (sealed with a wirenut) on the shelf for the next project, which doesn't get started for a year -- by then the tube's hardened, I throw it out and buy new.

Reply to
JimR

Try a dab of vaseline in the tip.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Stick a big headed nail in it.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

I usually put a nail in the end. Big enough to fill the hole and understand I only can keep if for a few days. So I try and plan my projects together.

tom @

Just Joshin