Preparing basement for tiles

We are in the process of changing part of our basement over from carpet to tiles. We are going to do our own demo of the carpeted area. Pulling up the carpet has left the tack strips. When I get them out of the way, the often come apart and leave the nails. How do I get rid of the residual nails. Or even do I need to>

Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman

If you're on a slab , just whack them with a hammer . That will usually spall the concrete around the nail and release it . If on wood (not likely in a basement) pull or drive them the rest of the way in . The nails do need to go away .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

does the OPs basement have ANY moisture issues at all?

i installed a tile floor and within 6 months the tile started failing, coming up in random plaves.

it was a complete waste of money.

later i had a interior french drain installed, replaced the tile floor. no new problems

Reply to
bob haller

Yes, you need to. How would you lay tile with nails sticking up?

As others said, a sideways hammer whack will get them out' probably leaving a divot in the concrete. No, you don't need to specifically fill the divots, just pass the flat edge of your trowl over them when you are spreading the thinset for the tile.

Reply to
dadiOH

Take a good hard look at the concrete slab when you are done. Any cracks? Signs of water infiltration?

Consider a slip sheet (or something like Ditra)?

Mulligans are expensive, with tile!

Reply to
Don Y

Moisture test, tape clear poly, observe. I'm doing, 1/2 inch foam, measures

5/8, with 5/8 plywood on top screwed to slab. Lowes 1/2 inch marine foam board. Can use rug or tile. Could still use Ditra on top plywood. I learned from tv show. Holmes used 1 inch foam, 3/4 plywood in Canada.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Interesting. Wouldn't work, here (not IN a basement) due to the resulting "lift" it would give to the floor. But, for a basement that you walk DOWN into, should be excellent! I will keep it in mind if we decide to tile the front/back porches...

Out of curiosity, have you tried to use the markings on the tile to assist in laying them (in a particular pattern)? Or, are your tile all "identical"?

Reply to
Don Y

Assuming this is on concrete, just use an angle grinder and grind off the screws. That way you wont have divots and damaged concrete.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Oren posted for all of us...

He's too busy screwing & wacking the livestock. He is trying to crossbreed a chimp and pig. The vet will be surprised trying to deliver...

Reply to
Tekkie®