prehung door

I put up a prehung door and I am having one problem the door won't stay open. It doesn't close shut, but it won't stay open it swings away from the wall and seems to be getting worse. Any solutions. mjs
mjs wrote:

Is the frame perfectly plumb every each way? Shimming hinge plate or bending hinge pin tiny bit will do the trick.

Go back and find the directions that came with the door unit. Then redo the whole thing just as it specified. As it is, you are out of plumb on the jambs, and perhaps other parameters. A prehung door jamb assembly is not a rigid structure to shove into an opening and nail in place. A little common sense some shims and finesse will get you the result you want. Remember the magic trio, square, plumb and level and do it right. God uck.
Joe.

Go back and find the directions that came with the door unit. Then redo the whole thing just as it specified. As it is, you are out of plumb on the jambs, and perhaps other parameters. A prehung door jamb assembly is not a rigid structure to shove into an opening and nail in place.
Joe is correct in his diagnosis of your problem. Think for a moment about the hatch on the deck of a boat. That is level or 90 out of plumb so it is easy to understand why it would self close. On a door, they self close or self open depending on which way they are tipped out of plumb.
When hanging a door, first you plumb the hinge side of the jam, then square the top to the hinge side, then secure the latch side of the door. You want the stop to evenly hit the door when closed.
--

Roger Shoaf

mjs wrote:

Does your hand fit a level?