Powered Computer Speakers - No Sound

Page 3 of 3
On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 07:19:46 -0500, Stormin Mormon

And the dinger is more likely to go "bad" than the automatic headlights - or to have been disconnected by the previous owner when you buy a 15 year old vehicle.

That suggests that either the speakers are dead or the cable is bad (or the jack that you plug the cable into has gone bad - I've seen this before).
Jon
I've had this happen many times.
Almost always it was fixable from the control panel. Somehow the sound settings got changed.
I have actual stereo amps connected to the laptops. Watch yard sales, you can get a good older one for $5 to $10 now that everybody wants 5.1 or 7.1 sound.

Did you confirm your computer output, with a different set of speakers? I lost audio one time, and had to reinstall the audio drivers from the CD that came with the computer.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

the first thing to do is to unplug and then replug in all cords.
sometimes a cord may look connected, but can get some oxidation, dust or gunk in it which stops conductivity.
worth a shot.
a blown fuse is another option, some manufacturers make it easy to replace them and others don't.
also, if you are trying to open the units see if there is a manual on-line for them (often there is or for similar units) so you can see how to open them easily. those little rubber footies underneath often can hide connectors...
songbird
p.s. check your mute settings for the global sound and for the speakers themselves. sometimes things get clicked when you're not looking...
songbird

That was certainly a problem in XP. I posted in the XP group about the .wav sound getting muted several times even though I did nothing. It turned out to have something to do with closing Skype. iirc
But that's why I asked about the OS. With Vista and higher, double click on the speaker in the systray and you can see the volume going up and down in the little box that opens.
In addition, right click on the speaker and open up Playback Devices. Each device has a volume/amplitude meter, but only one will show sound. If he's lucky, that will be the one that has the speakers plugged into it, but that's not guaranteed. If somehow it changed to other output, no sound will come out of the speakers.

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 2:26:55 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

You jinxed me!
I pulled a set of old computer speakers out of storage to put in my window so the Trick or Treaters can have some Halloween music. (Pandora, Halloween Party). The music goes along with my decorated yard.
There's a powered sub-woofer box and 2 speakers. I plugged the 12V DC adapter into the sub-woofer box and...nothing. No power light on the box. I moved the box and heard a buzz as the powered light flashed and then went out. A wiggle here, a jiggle there and the power light goes on and off.
I opened the box and found a bad solder joint where the power connector connects to the board. A quick and easy fix.
The spooky tunes are playing.