Power supply for landscape lights question

I have an old TORO landscape timer/PS in my basement which feeds 3-4 watt lights outside for a total of 12 watts. Because I am finishing my basement, I have to remove the timer from the block wall. The low voltage wire feeds through a conduit in the block wall to the outside lights. I have outside a weatherproof outlet that is on a seperate timer for Christmas lights. If I had a small 12VDC 1Amp power supply from an old answering machine, can't I just use that to power the lights outside? It would not be exposed to the elements inside the weatherproof box, the splice would be inside the box since the low voltage wire from the lights is long enough to reach.. It also eliminates me from mounting the TORO box outside.

Reply to
Mikepier

12 watts @ 12 volts = 1 amp. You would be maxing out a 1 amp DC supply and it wouldn't last long.
Reply to
A. Baum

Most wall warts are not weatherproof. If the outlet has an "in use" cover, that might be ok. But as mentioned above, you really need a little bigger wall wart.

Reply to
Art Todesco

OK, I made it easy for myself and mounted the original timer outside next to the outlet. I jumped out the timer in the basement so now the outlet is on full time, and the landscape lights are contolled by the TORO timer.

Reply to
Mikepier

If the power supply is rated at 1amp, then that is the current it should be able to supply indefinetly. Also, whatever it is rated at, there is always some margin built in. So, from that standpoint, there isn't a problem. However, whether the supply is rated and code compliant to be installed in the outdoor box is the real question. Even with a box, it's subject to condensation, for example. I would suspect that while it would work, it's not kosher.

Reply to
trader4