Possible to only use part of a can of expanding foam?

Page 2 of 2
On 12/1/2010 7:28 PM, Home Guy wrote:

Advertising. Find a products weakness and then push it as it's strength.
You must be talking about "Great Stuff". You may have bought it at the Despot. That is often a clue as to an innate problem. The Despot will sell all manner of crap.
What a mess clean up is and you don't want to get any of it on you.
DAP and others make latex expanding foams, you can clean out the straw and nozzle with water. Not that that is any great joy but it is reasonable. Not so with "Great Stuff".
Jeff

But the latex stuff is useless if you want to seal out water - it just disolves. Says right on the can "for dry locations only" or something very close.

I've used the pipecleaner-in-the-tube trick with varying results. [but then I get a dead can about 10% of the time] Take the screw tip off & use one pipecleaner in the top of the can. Use another in the first section of the top. And another in the end of the tube.
If you're lucky all 3 will come out, and there will still be pressure in the can.
A better plan is to keep a list of places where you can use a squirt of it on the shelf where you keep you 'great stuff'.
Oh- for a can that won't spray, but still has great stuff in it? Stand back 50 feet ad shoot it with a pellet gun. Pretty dramatic.<g>
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I recently tried to use a can for a second time. I found that it was relatively easy to push the dried crud out of the plastic dispensing tube using a wire. It was the short shaft sticking out the can where the problem is. I used a drill bit turned by hand to dig into that shaft and pull out more crud, some of it semi-solid.
I eventually got it to the point where there was a constant small air leak coming out of the can. I put the dispensing tube back on, turned the can upside down, and a very weak but constant flow of foam began to flow. I thing it would only flow if the can was upside down. I stuck the nozzle where I needed it, rigged the can so it would stay put (and stay upside down) and left it. I'll check today to see how much came out.

The official method, which was illustrated in the instruction book that Great Stuff used to come with (along with a pair of gloves) is simple. Unscrew the plastic nozzle and pull off the extension tube. Moisten several toothpicks. Insert one into the can, and one into each end of the nozzle and extension tube. When the foam dries, the toothpicks will serve as handles to pull out the hardened plug.
It works well, although the tube is better done with pipe cleaners as others have mentioned. And acetone from a squirt bottle will remove the excess if used before it dries, although if you miss a bit in the can, it will still plug up.
I use flat tothpicks with the larger end inserted into the holes. They get a better grip than the round toothpicks. Wait a few minutes after using the foam to insert the toothpicks, or the still-expanding foam will push them out.
--
DT

As the can clearly states this is for one time use.
However, if one cuts the straw in half and then cleans the nozzle immediately with a toothpick or and then uses the rest using the other half of the straw within 30 days or so it usually works for the second time.
Honestly, sometimes it does not.
--
Colbyt