Porter Cable Quality ???

Page 1 of 2
Is it me or does it seem Porter Cable has gone the way of Dewalt and others that have been bought out by Multi National Conglomerate's ? I use to have an old PC 14.4 cordless hammer/driver 7years old and that thing ran like a champ. Only needed to buy 3 new batteries in 7 years and I use it everyday! The sad thing is it was stolen about 2 weeks ago, so started looking at a replacement and not happy. And they're now built in Freakin China now!!
What would be a good replacement these days? Or are all built like shit?
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Check out Bosch. Popular on job sites and rentals around here. Amazon a good source, CPO Bosch for refutbs, new, and rebuilt. Consider Milwaukee, too. HTH
Joe

Well, Good morning Rich. While you were taking a nap Black & Decker acquired Delta Machinery, Porter-Cable, and Oldham Saw in 2005
I no longer consider Delta or Porter Cable when making a purchase. The same is true for Dewalt and B&D.
G.S.
Gordon Shumway wrote:

worried they would produce crap. They assured me the quality would stay the same, yeah right. So if not them who do you suggest? I used that drill everyday and loved it!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

If I need a tool I will usually start with Bosch or Makita and if that doesn't get me what I want I would consider Rockwell (just bought their Sonicrafter and so far so good) or maybe Fein or Fe$tool.
Gordon Shumway wrote:

Milwaukee. Have a Bosch jig saw. Love it. Not real keen on Makita. Most of my tools are older Porter Cable. 3 routers, sawzall, miter saw, circular saw, and nailers. Guess anything new will have to be something from the top of this paragraph.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 19:05:40 -0700, evodawg wrote:

I got a great closeout deal on a cordless DeWalt set at Lowes. The hammerdrill clutch is trash. It will drive a deck screw through the decking on setting 1 and that is how DeWalt said it was designed :( After THREE NEW drills I was blessed by having the set stolen. I now have an M18 Milwaukee set and it is GREAT! You will not go wrong with Hilti, Bosch, or Hitachi. Stay away from DeWalt except for the drywall cutout tool.

Now you know why they stole it 2 weeks ago vs buying new crap.

Check out Bosch and Panasonic. I like the weight-power ratio on the Panasonic. Very comfortable to use.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I like my Milwaukee corded drill, but now that I think about it, it's older than the OP's Porter-Cable. (but it can't be *that* old! I remember buying it!)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Hey I got one of those to. The sucker has so much torque I have almost broke my wrist a few times!!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Are you sure you weren't holding "something" else... when you were a lot younger???
Nate Nagel wrote:

I have the 1/2" Milwaukee Hole Shooter, is that the beast you're referring to? I've broken many a drill bit with that infernal machine.
http://tinyurl.com/dm3d2c
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

That's the one. That sucker is a wrist breaker. Drive lags with that and when they seat, you better let go or snap your finger or wrist. Great drill!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

That's what that screw in handle is for.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

yourself in an awkward position and you can only hold the drill with one hand. Thats when you can get screwed, literally!!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

DON'T BUY RYOBI. P PERIOD O PERIOD S PERIOD
evodawg wrote:

Look for vintage real things.

That's me, but I'm not available.

Porter Cable's quality has declined. Take a look at Bosch, Milwaulkee, Panasonic and Makita for higher-quality replacements. Made in China tools are certainly not worth consideration unless you are going to loan them out.