Porter Cable Quality ???

Is it me or does it seem Porter Cable has gone the way of Dewalt and others that have been bought out by Multi National Conglomerate's ? I use to have an old PC 14.4 cordless hammer/driver 7years old and that thing ran like a champ. Only needed to buy 3 new batteries in 7 years and I use it everyday! The sad thing is it was stolen about 2 weeks ago, so started looking at a replacement and not happy. And they're now built in Freakin China now!!

What would be a good replacement these days? Or are all built like shit?

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

Check out Bosch. Popular on job sites and rentals around here. Amazon a good source, CPO Bosch for refutbs, new, and rebuilt. Consider Milwaukee, too. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Well, Good morning Rich. While you were taking a nap Black & Decker acquired Delta Machinery, Porter-Cable, and Oldham Saw in 2005

I no longer consider Delta or Porter Cable when making a purchase. The same is true for Dewalt and B&D.

G.S.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

evodawg wrote in news:gqu4ft$9og$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

Now you know why they stole it 2 weeks ago vs buying new crap.

Reply to
Red Green

Check out Bosch and Panasonic. I like the weight-power ratio on the Panasonic. Very comfortable to use.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I knew that happened and even called PC a year ago to protest and was worried they would produce crap. They assured me the quality would stay the same, yeah right. So if not them who do you suggest? I used that drill everyday and loved it!

Reply to
evodawg

I like my Milwaukee corded drill, but now that I think about it, it's older than the OP's Porter-Cable. (but it can't be *that* old! I remember buying it!)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Hey I got one of those to. The sucker has so much torque I have almost broke my wrist a few times!!!

Reply to
evodawg

evodawg wrote in news:gqujm9$t07$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

Are you sure you weren't holding "something" else... when you were a lot younger???

Reply to
Red Green

If I need a tool I will usually start with Bosch or Makita and if that doesn't get me what I want I would consider Rockwell (just bought their Sonicrafter and so far so good) or maybe Fein or Fe$tool.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Fe$tool is right!! I have to agree with you on Bosch,Fein and don't forget Milwaukee. Have a Bosch jig saw. Love it. Not real keen on Makita. Most of my tools are older Porter Cable. 3 routers, sawzall, miter saw, circular saw, and nailers. Guess anything new will have to be something from the top of this paragraph.

Reply to
evodawg

I have the 1/2" Milwaukee Hole Shooter, is that the beast you're referring to? I've broken many a drill bit with that infernal machine.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That's the one. That sucker is a wrist breaker. Drive lags with that and when they seat, you better let go or snap your finger or wrist. Great drill!!

Reply to
evodawg

Hi, Look for vintage real things.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

That's what that screw in handle is for.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Porter Cable's quality has declined. Take a look at Bosch, Milwaulkee, Panasonic and Makita for higher-quality replacements. Made in China tools are certainly not worth consideration unless you are going to loan them out.

Reply to
Phisherman

evodawg wrote in news:gqu4ft$9og$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

Many have replied with input. Haven't seen anyone mention Hitachi. Maybe their hand power tools are shit or just that they have not been out long compared to the rest and no test of time.

Last year I needed a 12" compound miter saw. My 10" cast iron Craftsman just wasn't cutting it any more and I had to bevel a lot of 1x8's. Did a lot of work with it from fine cutting trim to going through 4x4's like butter. Really happy with it. But then again, it's only been a year.

Reply to
Red Green

That's me, but I'm not available.

Reply to
KC

DON'T BUY RYOBI. P PERIOD O PERIOD S PERIOD

Reply to
SteveB

Yeah and it's useful most of the time. But every now and then you get yourself in an awkward position and you can only hold the drill with one hand. Thats when you can get screwed, literally!!!

Reply to
evodawg