portable generator question (wattage)

No, there is only one definition of "phase" in the context of electric power. The various mathematical notions of "phase" are not relevant. You commit the fallacy of "definitional retreat".

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

In the context of "phase" in electric power, you are in error. That mathematics has a different sense of "phase" is irrelevant.

"A polyphase system must provide a defined direction of phase rotation, so mirror image voltages do not count towards the phase order. A 3-wire system with two phase conductors 180 degrees apart is still only single phase."

--

Richard J Kinch

Unlikely. The word "phase" has meaning, which applies to a lot of things, including mathematics and electric power. What seems to be happening here, is a specialized redefinition that I wasn't using. Sort of the opposite of "definitional retreat".

BTW, how would you respond to the question "True of false: the currents in each leg of a three-phase motor (wye connected) are equal". That question was actually on a test I had once in a NEC class. Some would say TRUE, others know it's FALSE.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Most of us would consider the context of a thread titled, "portable generator question (wattage)" to involve the latter.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch