portable generator question (wattage)

Page 2 of 2
Mark Lloyd writes:

Most of us would consider the context of a thread titled, "portable generator question (wattage)" to involve the latter.

Maybe it was me. I have a 2000w and it will run 12 hours on a gallon at half load; no hyperbole. My freezer and refrigerator are only 200w and my furnace is 500w, thats only 900w in total. (starting the freezer is another story, the generator stalled once doing that; but once in about 2 weeks of use isn't bad.)
A bigger generator will use more gas than a small generator, even doing the same thing. Gas can be hard to find in a power outage. Buy the smallest generator that will satisfy your needs.

I haven't seen the 3500w, but most small ones are one "phase".

.

Even with the garage door open you should not run the generator inside the garage. Carbon monoxide has a way of collecting just where it is not wanted.
Bill wrote:

Hey, please dont multipost, crosspost instead. Its really annoying to find half the responses to a post in one group and days later discover the other half of the answers in another group. you posted this same article in alt.home.repair and then again in alt.energy.homepower Make one post and put both groups in it with a follow up to one group only.
See http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html
Eric