Portable air conditioner performance

Page 1 of 2
How do portable AC units compare to their counterpart window units in performance and efficiency?

Never heard anything good about them. I'd not even try using one.

The ones I have seen are very expensive and not very efficient. They are not eligible for the governments energy star program (http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/prod_development/revisions/downloads/roomac/prog_reqs_ac_draft_v2.1.pdf
And the ones I have seen use only a single exhaust vent in the window, so.... that means you are using your cooled inside air to be blown thru the condenser and then vented outside to be lost. Not very efficient.

From what I can see from looking at a few specs, it looks like there isn't a lot of difference in terms of performance. With both types I found units in the range of 10 to 12 EER. I agree you would think using the inside air to move through the condenser would make the portables less efficient, but it may not make that big of a difference.
I think the choice of which to use usually comes down to what will work in the particular application. I'd go with a window unit unless there was a reason it could not be used.
In

Yes, they are; both of ours have the energy star sticker.

(http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/prod_development/revisions/downloads/roomac/prog_reqs_ac_draft_v2.1.pdf
What? Nooo, lol! That's a hot air output and is baffled from the refrgerated air inside the unit. If you've seen one like that, you must be seeing some real junk!
HTH,
Twayne`

those portables dont cool as well, all the noise is indoors, window units put the compressor outside for quieter operation and easy disposal of condensate
On 5/22/2011 8:30 AM, Twayne wrote:

Well, the Scope section B of that link says they're not...apparently any unit you have doesn't meet the fit the definition of either a PTAC or PAC if it does have the tag.
Any way, doesn't seem the link bolsters the case.. :)

SBH wrote:

My elderly neighbor has two. Efficient? They're not.
But if you need cool when the power goes out, they may be your only option. Get the kind with two hoses (intake and exhaust).
On May 23, 8:13am, "Stormin Mormon"

You store the portable AC in the freezer until the poser goes out, then you take it out and it cools the room old school.

Until the poser goes out? Yeah, that'll do it. ;-)

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Portable generator, with which you can keep ONE room cool but not the whole house.
My generator puts out 2x20 amps, but my main AC pulls 2x25. The window unit pulls about 1x12.

When I got central AC i kept one window unit, put it in ccloset for emergencies. It will run off my generator and is big enough to cool my bedroom. I plug it in once a year for a 1/2 hour so its good to go if needed

Smart move. Handy to have if the big AC goes down for a couple of days anyway. Sooner or later it will.

yeah everyone should do this, of course I like backups. I have 2 washers, 2 dryers, 2 vans, etc etc.
I am a service tech for roll laminators and fix much of my own stuff, but want to be able to take ,my time. Although I dont like working on vehicles, but do like having a backup van:)
A spare window AC is just part of my backup plan.
Heck I carry a loaner for the machines I repair, arrive at customer dont have parts needed:(
Sorry your machine must go back to shop:( But I will gt you a loaner...... how long will that take? Oh about 15 minutes must get it from van:)
Customers love this its the instant guaranteed fix:)
In typed:

Very well in our experience; we have two of the PAC types. Quick & easy to install too. Same btu ratings as the old window units is giving us the same comfort as always, better in some ways due to the more powerful fan settings and built in dehumidifier.
HTH,
Twayne`
On Mon, 23 May 2011 08:14:48 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Not all do, no. The dehum runs the temperature of the coils at a lower temperature (less air, AFAIK) so they are below the dew point. You're not pulling any water out of the air if they're above the dew point. It's less efficient that way but takes less energy. ;-)
On Thu, 26 May 2011 08:33:27 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

It's a matter of degree. ;-) You can't pull water out of the air if the coils are above the dew point. Want to pull more out? Drop the temperature of the evaporator. It costs some efficiency, but that can be made up by setting the temperature higher and you'll still be more comfortable.

Go to your local library. Get the issue of Consumer Reports that deals with those appliances. Use Google for more information.
Joe

Here's a report from 2008:
http://174.129.132.250/home/2008/06/air-condition-1.html

That's interesting. They CR is reporting getting half the EER of window units. Yet if you look at the specs of the portable units the EER the manufacturers list is similar to the window units, ie around 10 or better. I wonder what accounts for the difference? Must be different testing methods, but you would think the EER would be measured in some fair and standard way.