Portable A/C

Page 4 of 4

http://www.sandman.com/telco.html

On Jun 27, 5:45 pm, "Proctologically Violated"

They are all pretty ineffecient. Better effeciency can be had by spending more money on central A/C (higher SEER) or a mini-split (for example Fujitsu's run up to a whopping 21 SEER). In both of those cases you would need a professional install.
That being said, a dinky little A/C like that, even running at 8 SEER or something crappy like that, is not going to break the bank just because it's not big anyhow, and you probably don't run it 24/7. Additionally, depending on your situation, wasting some electricity dollars may be ok if the alternatives (putting central A/C in your rental unit or something) don't make sense. This "ineffeciency" may add up to something like $10 a month (guessing here) so it may not matter.
Jensington
Proctologically Violated wrote:

So you got hosed!
years ago i got into a heated argument with the fellow in charge of building maintence where i worked. the window AC unit was ineffective having been vented into a compressor machine room. in the summer the temperature in there must of been near 200 degrees. the jerk claimed that had no effect on the ac operation...
clearly he was wrong, and either too stupid to realize it or plain lazy and didnt want to move the unit. worse the company wanted us looking professional in long sleeve dress shirts and ties, in a office near 90 degrees..........
heck they really wanted us in suits.........

Yikes
I've observed that head pressure is more or less directly related to condenser temperature, if it was 200 degrees in there the pressure must have been through the roof. No wonder it quit working.
Jensington writes:

Or you can add a condensate pump for about $40.

I got one for $.99 + free shipping.
Ebay ...doh !!!

Get one with two hoses, the single hose ones cause a fair bit of outside air to infiltrate in

Thanks everyone, especially to those who pointed out that some have 2 hoses. I was wondering before if the single hoses were split.
--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Hi Tom,
FWIW, this article appeared in today's Plain Dealer:
http://www.cleveland.com/living/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/living-0/1183031787174780.xml&coll=2
Cheers, Paul
Fry's Electronics has been advertising them.
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:31:06 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"

They're all pretty much the same, there's virtually no difference at all between the small rotary compressors they use, and they're all about the same efficiency (not very) due to mandated standards. Buy one that has the features and cosmetic design you like.
I've had a Sunpentown 13000 BTU unit for 3 years. It's very effective, efficient, and the condensate goes out with the air exhaust. I installed a dryer vent through the wall to regain the full use of my window. It keeps the computer room cool and doesn't cost a lot to run.
Ordering over the Internet, including shipping, was comparable in price to buying a 9000 btu unit with a much lower efficiency rating locally.
The quality of this unit really surprised me.
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

I use a portable split A/C. If you pay more, you can get portable split A/C with an aggregate installed in an external unit. As far as I can remember the external unit can not be put outside the house as it is raining, otherwise it can be put outside. I put the external unit in a small room with open window and additionally put a fan in that room directed to the window to blow hot air outside.
Interesting. Link/dealer?
The refrigerant goes thru flexible lines, I gather?
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY