Install portable A/C in garage?

I'm using a detached 2-car 20ftX20ft garage with no windows to do a boxing workout and it get's hot and steamy quickly if there is more than one or two people in there at the same time. The floor gets dangerously slippery also. I got a dehumdifyer and it works but it actually adds more heat to the garage which will get unacceptable in a couple months, plus it costs almost as much as the portable A/C from Coscto above. I can return the dehumidifyer to Sears in the next week minus a restocking fee, so I'm thinking ordering the portable a/c linked above.

I'm sure the 10,000 BTUs is probably not enough to really cool the garage to a comfortable 76 degrees on a 100 degree day (though it says it could work for up to 400 sq ft), but if it can at least drop 10 or 15 degrees, bring in fresh outside air and exhaust the hot, humid air it may be worth it.

Since there are no windows, what would be involved in cutting holes through the drywall to mount the intake and exhaust tubes? It is a newer house with stucko on the outside of the wall. I think I would rather have two small round holes for the tubes to go through rather than a large hole that fits the provided rectangular window adapter. I do not want to cut through studs in the wall and make a giant opening for a standard sized window a/c, so that's the main reason I want the portable unit.

Reply to
Dan Jones

The big fan is a good idea too. Any possibility Joe of opening the garage door 6 inches or a foot and using the right end of the opening for the input and the left end for the exhaust, at least to get an idea of how satisfactory it is? If this whole room circulation doesn't happen autmatically, maybe a blanket could be hung to the floor in the 12 to 14 foot middle of the door. Would that do it, or would it just circulate air near the door?

I haven't done this but I have a friend who AC'd his 2 car garage. I think he used a standard AC, installed through the wall, and I'll ask him what he used and how satisfied he is, etc. if you want me to.

If it's really hot out, you'll have to change it to recirculate after the room gets almost cool, because it will cost more to keep adding warm outside air to the cooled air inside.

What's so bad about cutting the large hole in the stucco? What is above the wall, just the edge of the roof or more? I think you have to cut one stud, and if there isn't a bigger than that load above it, I don't think the wall will sag, or not more than what someone here tells you. You put in 2x4's on all four sides and if you have to lift it up a little (an inch or two??) to undo any sag, I think you can use a car jack for that. Will it sag enough to crack his stucco, and how does one avoid that.

Reply to
mm