"Popcorn" paint

I live in The Villages in Florida. Friend has ceiling of her garage painted with "popcorn". House is 9 years old. some of the paint is coming off, but there is no sign of water damage of any kind. Anyone have experience with this stuff?
Lou

It is in a lot of Florida houses, including mine. My house was built in 1986 ... the popcorn falls in bits and pieces but it stays on through paintings. We bought a fancy, long shaggy roller to use when painting and it didn't work as well as the cheap through away types that cost about a dollar at the store. We were using white latex ceiling paint. I have read that you can remove it but it's a messy job. You can buy some stuff at Home Depot to patch it if you get large places where it has fallen off but I have not used it and don't know if it really works.
The fact that it is falling off is not a sign of leaks or damage ... it's just the way it is.
Bad stuff to have. Scrape it all off!
--
Dymphna
Message origin:

The sprays are expensive and a real crapshoot. I found the product below at the Blue Borg. It works quite well if you ask me considering the low rate of success most have fixing popcorn. Premixed. The popcorn itself is actually polystyrene chips. Matching is just a matter of how good you get at doing it. Dab on with a cheap paint brush. Don't like what you're getting just wipe it off with wet rag. Let it dry and paint with ceiling paint. Paid 5 bucks for a qt. Goes a long way. Wish I found it long ago actually.
http://homaxproducts.com/products/texture/14/index.html
Red Green wrote:

Thanks

It can flake off, especially in high humidity. It is a real PITA to paint over. I'm not sure what I'd do in a garage, but in my house, we scraped all the crap off and repainted with regular primer and ceiling paint. In a garage, I'd probably touch up the bare spots.

You need to wipe the disk and reinstall Windows. .... No, wait, that's trolling in another group.

The normal heating and cooling of the garage will loosen the popcorn. If you want it off, just spray it with water and let if soak for a short period of time and it will come off easy with some scraping.

First choice is to remove the popcorn. Simple. Move everything out of the room, spray with water, let soak for five minutes, scrape. Redo underlying sheetrock with texture, or just sand and paint. Second choice is to spray a thick coat of latex interior paint on it from an airless. Again, remove everything. Both are MESSY.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Thanks??

You have two choices. Put band aids on it or fix it. It's that simple.

How in the hell can you paint popcorn? And who would eat it after being painted? And now we got some idiot who put it on the garage ceiling. Thats about the stupidest thing I ever heard.
Frank J
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Into the grapes again?? Google is your friend. Have you tried it?
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote in wrote:

Try reading your own posts.
Red Green wrote:

I did not reply cause I assumed he was kidding, but in his group one never knows.
Lou, I guess it's just too humid there. The popcorn and the tape don't stay well. My dad is at Top of the World and I redid the patio and front porch tape that had let go with thermal setting drywall mud. It has held up well for over 6 years.
His garage lost the popcorn and much of the drywall tape. I removed the popcorn, ran an upside down base mold around the ceiling line rather than retape the wall ceiling perimeter and used the thermal again on the joints. Looks good and is holding up well for at least 2 years.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .