Popcorn in micro wave

A pop corn bag was left to long to cook in the micro wave oven. The bag exploded and the pop corn burned. I guess I was lucky I didn't have a fire. Now the micro wave oven has an awful smell to it. How do I get rid of the smell?
Thanks
(To send e-mail, remove NOSPAM from address)
On 24 Nov 2003 12:57:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comNOSPAM (Brandystew) wrote:

Baking soda and water. Then, wipe it down with vinegar.

Boiling water with a lemon in it will help too.

Truitt Bottsford III wrote

Boiling water with citrus in it sometimes multiple times an get a lot of the odors out of the internal ducts which just whiping down won'. Allow the previously boiled water to fully cool while still inside the microwave before heating again.
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=microwave+odor
=~~~~~~

I found that cooking bacon removes alot of odors in a microwave
Easy off has made a microwave oven cleaner that takes out a lot of odours
Caroline

A pop corn bag was left to long to cook in the micro wave oven. The bag exploded and the pop corn burned. I guess I was lucky I didn't have a fire. Now the micro wave oven has an awful smell to it. How do I get rid of the smell?
Thanks
(To send e-mail, remove NOSPAM from address)
Microwave your cat for 20 minutes, or your gerbil for ten.
Ara.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comNOSPAM (Brandystew) wrote in message

Hi,
A large container filled with water and allowed to boil a while inside the microwave often helps as the steam picks up the odour and out the vent it goes....let the water cool completly before attemting to remove it after you let it steam clean.
I have boiled water in a microwave for 15-30 minutes and have had good results steaming it :)
jeff.
My microwave (Whirlpool) has gone quirky on me and quits early in the popcorn cycle.
At first I thought loss of power due to old age (9 years). However it boils water and cooks other things just fine in the allotted time.
Now I suspect the sensor mechanism.
How do these dudes *know* when the popcorn is finished?
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Been there...
What I did was to clean the cooking cavity out completely with 401, and I left the door open for a few days...
NOI

Reminds me of an experience I had. I hadn't made popcorn in my microwave for a long time, and couldn't remember if it was one minute fifty seconds or two minutes fifty seconds. I put it for two fifty.
I went off to the bedroom, and in a couple of minutes started smelling something burning. I headed back to the kitchen. As I rounded the corner into the kitchen, the upper half of the room was filled with smoke so dense you couldn't see. I opened the back door, which was a lucky thing.
I saw that the smoke was coming from the microwave. I opened the door, and POOF!, a ball of fire came out. I guess the inrushing air hit the red hot corn, and it all ignited. I grabbed the flaming bag with some tongs, and went out the back door.
Popcorn WILL burn. And I mean burn with flames.
I cleaned the oven several times, and the smell just went away slowly. From the rest of the townhouse, too.
Steve

Actually, I know the root cause of your problem.
My wife and I have a long-standing running joke about our (now deceased) cat. We became convinced he was up to something when we left the house. When we were out we noted sirens and firetrucks running around. Obviously, it was caused by the cat. He became obsessed with making popcorn the right way. The only problem was, just when the popcorn was almost done to perfection, the guys in the fire trucks would come and take it away. After they saw a little grey cat running away from enough fires, they started looking for him, hence the police. Frustrated, the cat had to increasingly supply his need for more popcorn to keep ahead of the firemen. This is why he started a fleet of planes and helicopters (for salt) running frequently. Of course, all this popcorn buying requires a large infrastructure of management and security (other cats spying on us while out). That, of course, requires a large business empire with spinoffs of his name, ingeniously concealed so we wouldn't notice (he hoped). Now that he has passed his empire on to his heir with detailed instructions, the expansion continues, as evidenced by your report. :)
Don't worry about the smell. Worry about the end of civilization as we know it!