Popcorn

My wife is a diabetic, also. She doesn't have to be so strict, though. Butter isn't an issue for her. Carbs are.

That's what the food police have been telling us for years.

Reply to
krw

After brewing the coffee, does your reference say at what temperature the coffee should be served?

Reply to
JohnnyD

Wrong. You don't have to give up fat, you have to give up sugar.

That really depends on how well you want to control your diabetes, and how long you want to live.

Reply to
JohnnyD

You think McDs ices it down after brewing?

Reply to
keith

The temperature of the water as it goes in the top is the "brewing temp". The temp of the water after it passes through the grounds and drips into the pot is not nearly the same temp. You have read the specs but don't understand what they mean.

Reply to
JohnnyD

After the grounds are saturated there isn't much heat lost.

Reply to
keith

If you want to live long with your diabetes you absolutely MUST low-carb. No more than 50 grams of carbs a day. Do that, and you will most likely be symptom-free.

Guess again!

And there is further heat lost as the coffee trickles into the pot.

Please try again when you know what you are talking about and have some credible references to back you up.

Reply to
JohnnyD

Well, "symtom free" is quite a stretch, but low carb will be better for you. As a diabetic, you are also at high risk for heart attack and stroke, among other things, so low fat is also highly desirable.

If you are very disiplined about what you eat, you may reduce your need for medications, and dramatically slow progression of the disease.

In fact, if you are still considered "pre-diabetic" you may be able to avoid ever crossing the line into diabetes.

It takes a lot of education and disipline, though. A lot of people passively just let doctors and meds do it all. That's invariably a bad route to follow.

Reply to
JohnnyD

My step-dad was a type I diabetic his entire life. He had all sorts of related problems as he got older such as bad eyes, wounds that wouldn't heal, poor circulation, etc., but never once had an insulin issue and was always trim. I remember when the Atkins Diet first came out in the 80s. My dad laughed and said, "So, someone's finally figured out that a diabetic diet keeps you thin!" I was a ballet dancer and no one could figure out how I "stayed so thin" while eating steak and salad with bleu cheese dressing. Umm...because that whole meal has less than 10 grams of carbs (most of it from the veggies) while the baked potato with cottage cheese the low-fat bunch ate has nearly 40 grams.

I don't think I've ever met someone who had "just" diabetes, and no other health issues.

Reply to
JohnnyD

Again, type I, not Type II, which is not an actual disease (broken Pancreas) but rather a lifestyle screwup. Those morons never get off the couch and live on sugar.

My Step-Dad was born with a busted Pancreas. He learned, early on, that he COULD NOT eat sugar/carbs, and never did so. He even served in the military in WWII, and they KNEW he had diabetes! His skills were that valuable! I am VERY happy that I learned to live on a "diabetic/low-carb" diet in my teen years. If not, I would probably have been too fat to have been a dancer and I would have been a "normal" blimpy "'mercan". I would rather die than claim that moniker. Of course, that was all 25-35 years ago :)

Morons?

My diabetes is caused by the anti rejection drugs from a transplant.

Reply to
Metspitzer

I would rather die than claim that moniker.

Go die. Nobody is stopping you.

Reply to
Joe Carthy