Pool - is it extendable?

OK here is a real stupid question...and I think I know the answer.
If there is an existing in ground swimming pool that is kind of small, like 16 feet long which is just slightly more than two body lengths...can't really swim, soak in it may be.
Is it crazy to think about extending it's length? Is it possible? Will it be about the same cost as building a new one? or no?
Thanks in advance,
MC

We were looking for a house a pool was a must. One house had a pool like that, my question was What were they thinking. Now having a house with a 22000 gal pool it hit 94 degrees last summer. I can,t imagine how hot those little pools would get. As for your question You would be better off starting from scratch. If you are looking for a house find one with a pool it will be cheaper than putting one in.