Polyurethane coating wearing away

When I moved into my house I had the floors sanded and polyurethaned. It's now 8 years later and the PU seems to have pretty much vanished. I understand that they should have done 4 layers or so but they only did 2. Then again, I didn't pay them very much since I didn't know any better.

Now the question is, can I just lop some more on top or does it have to be removed first? How long before I can walk on it?

Reply to
dgk

Sounds like they swindled you and put on some cheap wax.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Clean it, lightly sand it, clean all the dust. Then apply each coat allowing the drying time stated on the directions. Some are 2 hours, others are 6 or more. I'd wait 24 hour before using it. Lightly waling on it with stocking feet may be OK but it does take some time to reach full hardness. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

No way. It's been eight years. Likely some expensive wax.

Reply to
dgk

you can redo no big deal read instructions probably need to clean light sand then a few coats. best bet is to get a hotel/stay at friends for the night.

Probably 3 coats should be good make sure you will have good light and if you have gas see if vapors flammable turn off pilots!

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Reply to
nospambob

And lock the cats into the basement. They'll be pissed.

Reply to
dgk