plumbing solder replacement

Anybody have any experience with the epoxy replacement for traditional soldering of copper plumbing joints? If si, how well did it work for you? Any tips if you recommend it?
http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId 573

held up fine. But when I went to use it a year later it had gone bad. So, it was darn expensive for two joints. Solder doesn't have this problem, but I was right up against a stud.
Next time I am going to try some CA I bought at a going out of business sale.

I have used cpmpression fittings on copper pipe and it worked well but they are pretty expensive. I was in a place where any other method was going to be a problem. I was worried about fire and I wasn't sure epoxy would bond to that old nasty looking pipe.
On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 00:41:59 -0600, "Mike Dobony"

If you are too stupid to use solder, you need to hire a plumber. Use your yellow pages and look up plumbers.

Looks like you hate most everything! Probably best if you kept your thoughts to yourself.

Mike Dobony wrote:

I'd be leery of using it until it has passed the test of time. Accelerated ageing tests often do not predict lifetime of a product. Plastics usually fail catastrophically due to oxidation and I believe copper pipes have a 60 year lifetime. Also, the 20 minute set-up time is probably a gel time and full strength may take 24 hours to develop. You certainly would not want to use for all your joints and if there is a problem using a torch, use compression fittings as others suggested. Frank

I am building a manifold and am using Qest plastic valves. They are combo compression/NPT fittings and I want to attach the valves to the threaded stubs first and then have all the valves facing down. I do not want to torch after attaching the valves to the stubs, nor do I want to use long stubs to keep the heat away from the valves. I want only 1-2" stubs, hence the appeal of the epoxy. I do not need to use the joints immediatly after assembly and can wait several days if necessary. The other alternative is to go with 3-4" stubs and use a wet rag at the valve to keep the heat from reaching the valve.
Mike Dobony wrote:

Solder is a proven method with demonstrated endurance. Gluing fittings together is a DIY concept that may or may not stand the test of time.
What you are describing may look neat but it is a good idea to install stuff so it is serviceable. How will you replace a valve if there is interference with the other valves?

They will be stagered with plenty of room to replace them. However, the position of the valve handle might not end up in a good position.
Mike Dobony wrote:

HD has presoldered fittings. (An extruded ring filled with solder at each end of the fitting) Anyone have any experience with these? Since the solder is center of the joint, I don't see how you would know when it flowed.

Buy a few pieces and practice soldering. Once done properly, you know it is good for 100 years.

... or as long as the pipe lasts.

You will see it just edge out of the joint. These should be easy to use, but with a little practice it is MUCH cheaper and just as good to do it the old fashioned way, with flux and solder.