Plug Wiring Reversed?

Page 2 of 2
says...

I think I've seen them in some local Ace and True Value hardware stores. I've even seen those tiny plugs/switches (Despard?) that let you put 3 things in a standard box.
writes:

there
Well last I checked they had them in McLendon's as well, it's a small (though admittedly very well stocked) local hardware store. Can't say I've ever really looked for the things, just seen them around.

Go to an electrical supply. They will have more selection than Home Depot does. I don't know why the obsession with Home Depot.
Dimitri

I've
Obsession? Well I'm not sure it's an obsession, but I do like them. They're everywhere (including less than 5 miles from both my house and my work), have a decent selection, good prices, and they're a one stop shop for home improvement. I'm not sure where the nearest electrical supply shop is, would probably have to drive all the way to Seattle.
On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 03:12:08 GMT, "James Sweet"

Home Depot suxs bigtime.
Why ... what makes them suck?
They have reasonable prices.
I don't think they have "experts" that work there but not everyone needs an expert to buy what they need for a home renovation.
The selection they have is limited ... but that's why their cheap ... they don't have to stock a larger selection so they can have larger volumes on the stuff they do stock.
They have a reasonable return policy .. almost anything you don't use can be brought back.
Since there are so many of them ... there is usually one in the neighborhood ... so they are convenient.
Why is it that you think they suck?
Mike

everyone
Depot
They're
home
would

They drive competitors out of business, which is fine in itself unless you happen to need to talk to an expert or find a specialty item. The difference between a good hardware store or store that supplies the trades and Home Depot is huge, but most people don't know the difference. Everyone just knows Home Depot (or Lowe's). It's like buying everything you own at Wal-Mart or Target. It can be done, but I'm not sure you'd want to.
I generally try to avoid Home Depot and give my business to the places that stock hard-to-find items and employ guys who actually give correct advice. Prices are higher, but that's what happens when one stocks specialty items that don't turn over often and pays his employees a living wage.
Dimitri
On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:39:11 -0400, someone wrote:

I would have to drive past two lumber yards, four hardware stores, three electrical supply and at least on plumbing supply, to reach a Home Depot.
I see where HD rents trucks for something like $19/hr for people to take stuff home in. If I call my local lumber yard, they will deliver for no extra charge, and have it out to me usually by the next day, and sometimes its been the same day. I tell them where I want it, and when I get home it is stacked there. I expect that the price is probably a little higher than HD to begin with, but not enough to concern me given the level of service (I also have an account at the local place, and they bill me at the end of the month, Net 30.)
HD can be good for the semi-clueless, who know only to buy generic stuff by price, who need to see it in the aisles because they don't know to ask for it from a counterman, and who are basically looking for generic items at generic prices. Personally I hate the whole big-box crowded experience, even the parking lot is a zoo. Its not worth the few percent savings to go through the hassle when I can just go up to the counter (or call) my local yard, tell them who I am, and tell them what I want and where to leave it.
I will admit that sometimes HD has a deal - one of my employees found a power tool that he felt was equivalent to what I had authorized him to buy for us, for MUCH less at HD so he got it there; for a volume item on "special" yes they might have it cheaper. But generally I do not look forward to a trip to HD and would rather buy locally (the HD is maybe 23 miles from my house).
-v.

*IF* they are also labelled "no equipment ground".

Yes, the label makes all the difference in the world. (I know what the code says, but electrically it's all the same.)
Dimitri

Yes; it is legal to have a 3-wire outlet with 2-wire input *if* it's a GFCI.
On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 17:43:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@alumni.uark.edu (Jim Haynes) wrote:

It is not legal to retrofit 3-prong outlets without a proper ground, unless the circuit is GFCI protected and labelled as such. Hell, I GFCI protect most of my outlets anyway because they provide good shock protection
I had one save my arse once, standing bare foot on damp concrete and grabbed a fray cord. Everything went dark for a few seconds and I heard the gfci snap off about 20-miles away. Only damage was an achy arm for several hours afterward.
-Chris
Niel wrote:

Yes, get the tester or a simple meter, if you know how ot use it.
Switching one set of wires, may have corrected all the rest down stream, or may not, so you really need to check them all again.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

stream,
And if you don't know how to use it please don't be messing with this stuff, call an electrician and let them take care of it for you.

This is Turtle.
Yes, Home Cheap-0 or Low's , Receptical checker , at $9.95 + tax. A little yellow plug in device to tell you what is wrong with it with lites on it.
TURTLE
Niel wrote:

--------------- Danger is Hot, Black, and Brass. Make it so.
To find which wire is Hot, measure it to a solid ground like a water pipe. Neutral is Dead, White, and Silver, like the bare Safety Ground.
Put a 200 VAC voltmeter, or DMM set to that range, from Hot to Neutral, this should show 120VAC. Then from Hot to Ground, you should again see 120 VAC.
The hot should be 120VAC to EITHER of them separately! If not, then Hot is not connected to the "hot"!!!
Try neutral to both each separately, see if it is BOTH 120VAC to ground and also the black. If so then the neutral and hot are switched and should be switched back at the bus. Of course, use insulated probes, rubber gloves if you are dim-witted, and switch off the breaker when you change things. I take no responsibility for your stupidity or your death.
-Steve
--
-Steve Walz snipped-for-privacy@armory.com ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!! With Schematics Galore!!
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Niel) wrote in message

Yah I think you need to get a tester. Just a neon bulb and two test leads. Did the inspector determine this problem with a tester? You need to verify that the hot lead (black) is the small slot. Determine this by testing from small slot to ground (metal box, conduit or earth ground) If it reads hot from large slot to ground then the hot /neutral is reversed and should be switched. If you were doing this right I would trace the wires back and find where the switch occured.

??? Do you mean the same wires black/white/green feed both outlets?? This could be normal is shared on the same breaker.

The head end would be in the breaker panel. If this is true the electrician should be immediately terminated with extreme prejudice!

Use your tester or meter to test empirically from the small slot (brass) to ground metal box, BX or conduit (water pipe verify the ground first) Make the brass hot and correct the color code all the way back to the breaker panel. If you're not comfortable with wiring, being in the breaker panel or don't understand how you can get shocked taking apart a neutral nexus then hire an electrician. On second thought you might want to hire a competent electrician anyway to review all your wiring. As a professional I've seen some weird things and your wiring sounds like it needs a good going over. While reversed wires are usually not a problem it can be dangerous as above and is an indication of someone not knowing what they were doing doing the wiring.
I did have a toilet that buzzed and had about 40 VAC on it but that's another story.
Richard

I'm speaking strictly based on Australian wiring regulations. I don't know how they apply your way. Here, you should get a licenced electrician to check out all your wiring. It is possible that it was originally wired up by someone unlicenced. If your house catches fire as a result of faulty wiring and there is a possibility that it was wired up illegally, you may have problems claiming insurance.
Henry Australia
On 6 Sep 2004 07:45:42 -0700, Niel hath writ:

I would do that.
Probably the two "suspicious"outlets that you are concerned about were daisy-chained from one or more of the badly wired outlets that were upstream of these two. They are now properly (probably) wired.
Your local hardware store sells the "idiot-lite" sensor that you mentioned and it would be a Good Idea to have one around.
Jonesy
--
| Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
| Gunnison, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
Allodoxaphobia wrote:

Of course if they screwed up one on the chain they may have screwed up more, so fixing one might fix several and/or screw up others.
Our boy need to by the $3.00 tester and check all the outlets in his home.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math