Please identify this building material

On the various home remodeling shows, they erect fences with a material that supposedly doesn't rot and can be painted. I think they use the same material for decks and retaining walls. Landscaper comed Friday and I want to be able to discuss it. Thanks.
On Apr 14, 1:21pm, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

If you visit the web sites of those remodeling shows they will have links to the manufacturers' products that they use.
On 4/14/2010 12:21 PM, Way Back Jack wrote:

http://www.trex.com/products/default.aspx

-
...and can be painted?

That's it, thanks.
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:31:22 GMT, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

The other material they make fences out of is PVC. They are going to be hollow "planks" that fit in a receiver track on top and bottom which lock into slots on the posts..
On Apr 14, 1:21pm, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

Do you care to mention the tv show you happened to see this building material on ???
Trex is what you would have seen on This Old House, Hometime and many of the HGTV clones...
Trex is not paint-able, it is possible you were mistaken about either the application or that fact that you could order the material in several colors rather than it being paint-able...
~~ Evan

Trex not paintable? Since when?
See: http://www.trex.com/technicalinfo/painting.aspx

That is what I was wondering

I would never paint Trex decking products unless you are very careful if you ever pressure wash it...
You will blast the paint right off of it...
When painted or stained it will also not hold up to having deck furniture moved across it, the paint will scrape off...
Stick to the color pallet available from the manufacturer since those coloring agents are mixed into the material when it is being mixed prior to being extruded into its shape...
I have seen what happens to painted Trex when a neighbor tried to pressure wash off some mildew that formed on it... Let's just say it took him several Saturdays worth of work before he had all of the paint off the visible surfaces...
~~ Evan
I've got anothe rone for you:
In some century-old former factory buildings in Manhattan I've seen ceilings look like they were concrete poured into wooden molds. THey have the traces of wooden planks that would have been used to pour the concrete into. But then I've seen holes through this where I can see light on the other end and the punctured area looks like plaster. Of course it cudda been plaster (which was then one third asbestos or horse hair) poured into wooden molds.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist          http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]
snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

http://books.google.com/books?id=W2YEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT53&dq iling+plaster+molds+horsehair&hl=en&ei=UZrNS7u9KZTS8QSksuSyDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=book-preview-link&resnum=2&ved EgQuwUwAQ#v=onepage&qiling%20plaster%20molds%20horsehair&flse [tiny url to google book- Pop Mech Feb 1997] http://preview.tinyurl.com/y6rpyu5
Jim