Plastic gas tank

Page 2 of 2
On Dec 15, 9:05�pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

cars are designed to be stored in garages, i would buy a small shed just for safetys sake if I were trying a patch job on a lawnmower gasoline tank.
in the past before i had a shed i kept the lawnmowers gas tank nearly empty and stored gas tank in a locked metal trash can outside away from house
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:27:51 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Minor, but important point: A full gas tank is safer than an almost empty one.
Gasoline fumes are, pound for pound, 16 times the explosive power of dynamite.

Both of those occurances are dangerous, but one of them is preventable.

You are a fool, and a dangerous one at that.
The advice I gave you could save your life or the life of a loved one. Do you consider that poor advice?
MLD wrote:

Hi, If replacement tank is not available I'd try that kinda repair.
Permatex makes a plastic fuel tank repair kit
http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/specialized_maintenance_repair/professional_repair_systems/Permatex_Plastic_Tank_Repair_Kit.htm

JB weld works just fine also. I've repaired dozens of daily use weedeater tanks with the stuff. The secret it copious amounts of brake cleaner to get it good and dry, then a little gouging with a die grinder to create a 'v' , (just as if you were making a weld repair) then warm the tank with a heat gun to dry it completely , and apply the JB weld to the warm tank. I've also successfully repaired rusty oil pans on ford trucks this way. They always last AT LEAST two years under daily use.
steve

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/specialized_maintenance_repair/professional_repair_systems/Permatex_Plastic_Tank_Repair_Kit.htm

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/specialized_maintenance_repair/professional_repair_systems/Permatex_Plastic_Tank_Repair_Kit.htm
Did you read the last line? Suggested Applications: Ideal for cars, trucks, boats and RV's; windshield washer reservoirs, radiator overflow tanks, coolant reservoirs, water tanks, waste tanks *Not for use on Plastic Fuel Tanks.

I wonder if that statement might be for liability concerns, it bonds to a plastic few thing will bond to, if it leaks again its ok, it only leaks when I fill it more than 1/4 full. I still cant believe JD used a metal screw down band type pipe clamp, anyone could over tighten it.

"solid ribbon type" of epoxy?
New to me (and no, I am not current in these things!).
The only kind of exoxy I'm familiar is liquid and comes in two *tubes*.
Thanks!
David

There are two parts either in ribbon form or bar form. You cut off a chunk and knead it until the two parts mix. Available in any hardware store or home center under various brands.

Since this thread popped back up, an update, I just fixed the tank with a product from Ace that they use at their repair area, its a contact cement called Seal-All, a few bucks in a tube that has worked.
ransley wrote:

There's the problem--musta' been that knock-off Deer instead of genuine green Deere... :)
ransley wrote:

I came across this:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Plastics-2471/squirrel-chewed-hole-plastic.htm
TDD
ransley wrote:

Get Mighty Putty on TV. It fixes anything. That big fat Billy Mays said so.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?
Claude Hopper wrote:

He's not fat, he's just full of...... never mind.
TDD
ransley wrote:

I have no idea if it will work on your gas tank but I've fixed various types of white/translucent plastic containers with molten nylon smeared onto and in the broken area. I just light a piece of 1/4" nylon rope and push the melted end around on the area to be repaired.
--

dadiOH

That is an interesting and cheap way to fix things. Once I was doing that for fun when was maybe 10, I remember a big lump melting on my hand and hurt for months.
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 05:24:01 -0800 (PST), ransley

Do it right: Contact the manufacturer for a replacement tank.