Plastering over a brick fireplace and wall question

I need some suggestions. I don't like the brick that is on my fireplace and adjoining wall. I was planning on using mortar to "smooth out" the existing mortar gaps between the bricks then come back over the bricks and mortar with plaster. Any suggestions that might keep me from really screwing this up?
Thanks, Rim
Rim wrote:

I suggest that you may want to just drywall over it. That may be easier and less messy and it will be easier to undo.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

I'd screw cement board into the existing mortar joints, the skim coat that. That way, if you get tired of what you've got and want to get the bricks back, it's no big deal. Anything else and you'll never get the original bricks back (and don't say you *never* will want them back, you, or some subsequent owner of the huse will be glad if you make this change a reversable one). Besides, if you want to get snazzy, you can get tile or stone to place on the cement board.
John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Ask me about joining the NRA.