Need roof structure analysis advice

We are about to put rock and concrete roof tile on our house that has been built in 3 sections in various stages of completion over the last 20-25 years. A hobby that got out of hand...

Question 1: Since we've always planned on the tile, the on-site built rafter structures in section 1 and the trusses used for the later 2 sections *should* be ok for tile now. Currently we have plywood, 30# felt, and roll roofing installed. I need to determine if we can safely (weight/stress-wise) install the tile winthout removing the rolled roofing. Additionally, we want to add some solar panels for pool heating, so we need to check the strength of those trusses in that area on the 3rd section. I have CAD drawings that I made of the hand-built section & the truss-companies'-generated diagrams of the trusses. Where/Who/How from here?

Question 2: When we added the 3rd section, we decided to make it 2-story instead of the

1-story that we'd originally designed. Now that we're about add the rock veneer, we have a place that is a problem. The 2nd section (1-story) joins the middle of the 3rd section (2-story) at a right angle. The wall area in question kind of looks like a 28' W x 10' H rectangle with the 28' W x 5'10" H (peak) triangle of the 2nd section gable cut out of the bottom of it. If we do it in rock, we are going to have to add support. I would image it would have to be truss-like structure(s) directly under the rock. Obviously it's too late to get a commercially built truss now, so it would have to be built in-place in the attic. Since there's no interior walls yet in the 3rd section and the gable end of the 2nd section is exposable (just covered in scrap plywood & hardboard to keep the 'coons out ), we can probably still get long timbers in through there if necessary. Or at worst we could pull a decking sheet and load from outside. Suggestions on where to get such a support designed?
Reply to
Diane

Diane,

It does sound as if you should have an engineer or architect review the original design and the changes made in the design. The obvious choice would be to use the same firm that drew up the original plan. If that is not possible look in your phone book. Local contractors may be a good source of recommendations.

Good luck, Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

If there was an architect or structural engineer involved in the all ;or any of the first 3 phases, they are where to start.

If you are talking about a mission tile roof there are and will be serious weight considerations. The stone issue will probably work best with steel of some design, though I think this should have been considered during the construction of the 2 story, not after the fact. It may be cost prohibitive to deal with now.

Reply to
Dan G

No architect nor structural engineer. We actually planned this house to be built in sections from the start. I drafted the plans. We had the first section done by a builder (so we could move in a reasonable period of time) & he did the roof design with the knowledge that we would be putting on roofing tile on in the future. The trusses used for the other 2 sections were built for tile also. Most likely we're ok there, just need to consult with someone about the rolled roofing and solar panel issues. Is a "structural engineer" what I'm looking for? I doubt that a truss company would help now since I'm not buying trusses.

We built the 2nd section completely ourselves but hired framers to do the

3rd section. They supposedly did what was needed for the rock then, but looking at it now, I know it's inadequate. In retrospect, I should have had a double wall where the 2 joined - one for the rock above the 1 story and 1 for the 2 story wall itself. But that didn't happen, so now I'm just looking to see "if there's a way".

Reply to
Diane

Diane,

The sort of engineer you seek is probably listed in your phone book as engineer, structural. If not call a civil engineer. It may be cheaper to investigate other roofing materials since you did not have your house designed to bear the load of the tile roof. I hope the engineer does not discover any major problems.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

I figured I needed some sort of civil engineer, but couldn't tag it. Thanks.

Ah, but I *did* design it for the tile roof. It's just the question of the rolled roofing that I've used as an temporary covering and the proposed solar panels. The rock on the 2nd story above the 1st story roof is probably where I've shot myself in the foot And all because I woke up early one morning with the burning desire for a circular stairway and a firemen's pole - thus the need for a second story

Reply to
Diane