Ping Maggie/Muggles

4 XL egg yolks 3/4C sugar 1/4 lb unsalted butter 3C heavy cream

1C pecan pieces (halves cut into thirds)

1/4 lb butter 1/2 tsp salt (popcorn salt, if possible)

(N.B. you'll actually use LESS butter, in total, than this)

Melt 1/4lb butter, Evenly sprinkle salt into butter, stirring to MIX WELL. Add pecan pieces. Stir constantly for ~10-12 minutes on low/med heat (depends on how disciplined you are to keep things from burning!). You'll smell when pecans are cooked (darker brown; butter gets frothy). Don't burn them!

[the salt is *crucial*!]

Remove nuts from butter and let cool in refrigerator (get them as cold as possible to add to the sweet mix -- less work for the dasher).

Salvage as much of the *clear* butter as possible (discard the "crud"/sludge that forms from the "pecan dust"). Add something less than 1/4 lb butter to bring this *total* to 1/4 lb (i.e.,

1/2C liquid measure)

Beat egg yolks and sugar until silky smooth. Add cooled (though still liquid) butter. Beat for uniform consistency. (if the butter is *too* cool, it will get clumpy)

Scald heavy cream in double boiler (or, in a pan if you are very careful in doing so).

Add hot heavy cream to egg mixture. Beat vigorously so eggs don't get a chance to cook.

Move mixture into double boiler. Slowly bring to ~170F for 2-3 minutes. This takes about 10 minutes of continual stirring. A (very) light custard results.

Cool in refrigerator for an hour or two (less effort for the dasher to otherwise remove that heat!) Depending on how cold the mix gets, the butter in the mixture may cause it to start to stiffen.

Move to dasher and freeze per usual. Just prior to finishing, add pecan pieces.

The custard base will allow this to survive in the freezer a bit longer than raw eggs would. You;ll find it difficult to discipline yourself to let it ripen fully before eating!

You can substitute Splenda for sugar -- but add an equal volume of powdered milk if you do to compensate for the volume forfeited by the Splenda!

I won't bother you with the caloric breakdown -- it's not good! :>

Reply to
Don Y

Real butter and cream! mmmmmmmmmm The real stuff makes everything taste better. I guess a half cup serving would have enough calories and fat to keep a person going for several hours, but sometimes the calories are just worth it!

Thanks for the recipe.

Reply to
Muggles

Think in terms of *tablespoons* not cups or half cups! :-/ I.e., the Rx makes a bit less than a quart and has somewhere around 4,000 calories!

SWMBO votes *not* to add the *extra* butter. I.e. use 1/4lb and salvage as much as you can from the pecans; don't "top it off" to the 1/2C mark!

( I don't see the problem. But, then again, *I'm* not going for bloodwork!)

Reply to
Don Y

Well, if you only make a quart at a time and split it up into small servings you might can justify the calories. OTOH, if I'm going to eat some home made ice cream I'm going to say the calories just don't count! HA! I usually make a gallon when I make it. My most recent recipe I use 1/2 Almond milk and half eagle brand| evaporated milk combo, fresh eggs, real vanilla, dash of salt to taste, mix > freeze until almost done > then I add Ghirardelli Dark chocolate mini chips, pitted dark cherries, & fresh toasted coconut. I turn on the freezer and process it maybe 10 more minutes until it good and mixed up, then I take out the paddle, put the lid back on, pack it with ice, cover it with paper bags and then a thick towel so it'll ripen. mmmmmmmm!

Reply to
Muggles

Yup. I "rationalize" that I'm not eating much by just eating a WHOPPING tablespoon at a time. Then, waiting a few MINUTES before going back for ANOTHER! :>

I'd have to "still freeze" anything more than a quart. I'd looked into buying a *machine* (i.e., built in refrigeration!) to do this but it was ~$600. At that price, I'd have to make ice cream every week or more to justify the expense. WAY too tempting!!!

My current process is self-limiting -- I can only make about a quart every other day. I figure *eating* a quart in two days is probably pushing the limits of health...

Hmmm... that's worth trying. I make an "Almond Chocolate Chip with Almonds" that might benefit from an Almond Milk sweet cream base! I will have to experiment. The good thing about ice cream is there's no such thing as a "bad batch"! :>

I've heard of folks using condensed milk. But, it seems like it would be too thick and sweet (?)

The fresh eggs are worrisome. I'm always leary of what sort of "problems" could turn up. Making the custard at least pasteurizes them so they're a bit more stable in the mix.

Not yet tried coconut. Would like to come up with a *toasted* almond sort of concoction. But, there's only so much time to experiment. And, often easier to just fall back on a "proven winner".

From time to time I'll bring a batch of the butter pecan to and dole it out in those real tiny "dixie cups" intended for bathrooms? Like 2 oz size! Most folks look at me like I'm being "stingy" using such small cups (hey, I didn't *have* to make it for you!). But, after eating that little bit, they realize they really don't want any more... at least, not right away! Way too rich!

Out of the dasher, mine is sort of like "soft serve". But, move it into the freezer and it firms up pretty quick.

Reply to
Don Y

Whatever works!

When I make a gallon, I usually share it with the family and the grown kids get to take some home with them, too. The rest is put in the freezer and we nibble on it for about 2 weeks.

It's a different taste, but better them I expected.

Not at all. After I add the eagle brand and evaporated milk with the flavoring and dash of salt I mix in the eggs thoroughly - take a taste and I may add some sugar to the mix but not as much as I'd add if I used regular milk or cream. Both the evap milk and eagle brand are already sweetened.

My parents used to do that with the milk/egg mixture, but I've never had any problems not doing it.

Well, you could buy slivered almonds, melt some butter, and stir in the almonds to coat them, then drain the almonds on a paper town. When they've drained, change the paper town and put them in a microwave and toast at 30 sec intervals stirring and turning them and making sure they brown evenly. It worked great with the coconut.

I can understand that. Real butter has a way of making things very rich.

Mine might be a bit more frozen than soft serve when after it's ripened, but it makes it easier to put it in a different container. The last time I ended up with more than a gallon after I added the fruit, choc chips, and coconut to it.

Reply to
Muggles

It only takes *one* such problem (Salmonella) to change your mind! When I was younger, I'd frequently make items with raw eggs in the Rx (cake frostings, egg nog, ice cream, etc.). But, as I get older, the potential for a big time FAIL has led to a more cautious approach -- I'd not wish anyone to end up hospitalized jut becuase they ENJOYED something that I prepared...

*Toasting* the almonds isn't the problem. What I'm looking for is a way to "introduce" the almonds to the confection. Mixing them in would be no better than my almond chocolate chip with almonds Rx.

What I'd ideally like to do is replicate a "Toasted Almond Bar" (from my youth -- no longer available, here)

Yup. Ditto with my pecan sandies; if you eat them *frozen*, it's like eating little pats of butter! :>

Reply to
Don Y

hmm not sure what that almond bar was like, but maybe you could make your version of the almond bar and then cut it into bite size pcs and drop into the ice cream when it's still soft and fold it into the cold mix?

Some things just light up the taste buds and are worth it!

Reply to
Muggles

I'm not sure if this was the original manufacturer but the appearance is roughly correct. I.e., the outer "skin" is bits of almond.

There's also an Italian cookie that consists largely of ground up almonds. It is very tastey. I've been looking for suitable recipes to try (*before* investing all that time and money on something "uncertain")

Yes. There's (another Italian) cocoa-based cookie that are my Achilles Heel. Lots of cherries, raisins, walnuts, XXX glazed. Thankfully, they take a *long* time to make -- and no one else seems to like them (so less incentive for me to invest all of that *time*)! :>

As I get older, I have to discipline myself to NOT indulge all these eating preferences formed when I was young (and could handle the abuse!)

Reply to
Don Y

mmmmmmmmm! I remember those and loved them! Can't find them any more.

This one looks promising:

[...]

Yeah. Bummer, isn't it? LOL

Reply to
Muggles

They are, apparently, still available in some parts of the country. But, alas, not here. We have *some* of those "childhood treats" (e.g., I think "Strawberry Shortcake" is still available) but not all. I can't recall the last time I saw a "push-up pop"...

No, the ones I'm talking about are *made* of coarsely ground almonds. Like large grains of sand. They are very soft/gooey, though. And, very *rich*.

Any Rx's that I've found seem to skip the almonds *in* the cookie dough. (some use almond *paste* -- but I think that is just one of the "necessary ingredients").

Youth is wasted on The Young. :<

Reply to
Don Y

OK If I find a possible recipe, I'll post it for you.

yeah!

Reply to
Muggles