Pine trees

I just had a large pine cut down because it was struck by lightning. The guy that took it down said that he has to pay to dump the pine because no one will take the pine wood.

I would think you could take it to a paper plant. Anyone know for sure?

Reply to
Terry

Yes, the guys at the paper plant will know. Why not give them a call?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

At best they _might_ take it off your hands if you brought it to them -- no way are they going to pay or pick it up (assuming there is a mill close by anyway)...

The trimmer is probably correct if it is any place that has any trees at all that is is simply waste.

--

Reply to
dpb

The moron who lives on the other end of my block who put a woodburner in his garage will take it. We wondered what the stinky acrid smell was in the winter and spotted the smoke slowly coming out of the chimney and I walked by and there was a pile of pine piled up next to the garage.

Reply to
George

Is it just pine that must be paid for, I'd be calling the landfill to find out for sure. Here, all tress are free to dump, it all becomes mulch for the City to use. Or call another arbourist, they would also know.

Must be some kind of recycling center near you, that would take it for mulch.

samurai.

Reply to
samurai

I'd just wait until after Christmas when many parks departments take trees for recycling. Tell them I had this REALLY high cathedral ceiling.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Here in the city of Chicago I just call 311 and ask for a "Forestry pick-up" and the city sends out one of its big blue trucks with da mare's name painted on the side and the chipper in tow and takes care of everything!

--jack

Reply to
jhasbro

A lot of mills will not accept "back yard" trees because of the danger of embedded nails, etc. Their saws are too expensive to take a chance.

Find somebody with a fireplace who is willing to cut it up an drag it home.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Wish I was close I'd take it for my wood stove!!!!!

Reply to
terry

Best solution -- have trees trimmed or removed by a company that has a chipper, have them chip up the material as it is cut down, then have them leave it behind for you to use as mulch.

Reply to
JimR

The smell was due to burning a cool, choked down fire, not from the wood. Pine that is burned as a stove should be burned has a pleasant smell as does almost all wood. There are a few that would make a skunk proud.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Amazing. A whole thread about pine and not one person (I was going to say idiot but want to stay polite) didn't make the mandatory "don't burn pine, you'll burn your house down" post. We have all seen them, the posters who have never heated with _any_ wood and never knew anyone who had.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Most plants won't accept trees from residential yards because of the high likelyhood they have nails, bolts, wire, etc. embedded in them. However landfills usually will take anything. I'd guess your tree cutter just doesn't want to take the time or expense to haul it off.

Red

Reply to
Red

Terry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

how far away is the nearest paper plant? Maybe it would cost more to take it there than to a dump,even with dump charges.

You should have had it ground to mulch,used it around the house. Mybe if it were a LARGE tree trunk,a mill would take it for lumber,or maybe a hobby woodworker.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

My parents had a lot of fires in the fireplace, and much of the wood around here is pine. We had really a lot of pine trees around the house.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Best friend has wood stove, after a nasty chimney fire he quit burning pine completely.

Around here you put pine at curb with free add in pennysaver, free firewood for camp.

It always disappears

Reply to
hallerb

South Florida was dependant on pine wood (fire wood). A Loblolly Pine has a deep tap root and was harvested from forests for turpentine.

The root is prized for kindling, at least back in the fifties.

We called it a lighter knot.. Expect this pine sap to burn hot.

-- Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."

Reply to
Oren

My father told me about those deep roots, and most people in town seem to not believe it.

My father used it that way. He had a certain complicated way of starting a wood fire, that involved building a log cabin-like structure out of pine pieces.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Learned something. Somehow I thought Florida would be full of hardwoods. In many parts of the states (here also), pine, spruce and the like are common firewoods with Fir and Larch (Tamarack) the preferred woods. Hardly any hardwoods availble for sale. Any I come across go on my private stock not the 'for sale' pile.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K
[sniip]

Not counting palm trees, in this area of Central Florida (Highlands County) the primary native trees are Live Oak, Cypress and Scrub Pine, with more than a few Red Maple, plus a decreasing number of invasive exotics, esp. Melaleuca, Australian Pine (not really a pine) and Florida Holly (not really a holly -- aka Brazillian pepper). The most common fireplace wood is the propane gas jet. The most common landscape or dooryard tree is probably a citrus -- orange or grapefruit, with magnolia and Royal Poinciana also in the mix.

From here south, the most common tree is probably the Palmetto, with Queen palms also in large numbers, if you want to include palms as "trees". In Palm Beach County, by code, three palms = one "real" tree, for landscaping approval.

Reply to
JimR